Pope Pius II
|Papacy began||19 August 1458|
|Papacy ended||14 August 1464|
|Predecessor||Pope Callixtus III|
|Successor||Pope Paul II|
|Birth name||Enea Silvio Piccolomini|
|Born||October 18, 1405|
|Died||August 14, 1464 (aged 58)|
|Other Popes named Pius|
Pope Pius II (Latin: Pius Secundus; 18 October 1405 – 14 August 1464), born Enea Silvio Piccolomini , was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 211th Pope from August 19, 1458 until his death in 1464.
Early life [change]
Pope Pius was involved in Italian and European political disputes.
Selected works [change]
- De miseria curialium (1485)
- Epistolæ in pontificatu editæ (1487)
- Aeneas Siluius in Europam (1490)
- Eneas siluius de remedio amoris Somniu fortune eiusdem (1490)
- Epistolae familiares (1492)
- Lystoire de Eurialus et Lucresse, vrays amoureux (1493)
- Commentarii rerum memorabilium quae temporibus suis contigerunt (1584)
Related pages [change]
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Pope Pius II," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-10-31.
- "Pius II," Encyclopedia Britannica (1911), Vols. 21-22, pp. 683-684.
- Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. (1833). "Pius II," Penny cyclopaedia, Vol. 18, pp. 197-198.
- Moseley, Nicholas. "Pius Aeneas," The Classical Journal, Vol. 20, No. 7 (Apr., 1925), pp. 387-400; retrieved 2011-10-31.
- Penny cyclopaedia, Vol. 18, p. 198, citing Niccolò Machiavelli. (1532). Historie fiorentine (History of Florence and of the affairs of Italy: from the earliest times to the death of Lorenzo the Magnificent).
- WorldCat Identities,Catholic Church Pope (1458-1464: Pius II); Pius II Pope 1405-1464
- Note that Pius II and his nephew Pius III share the same coat-of-arms
Other websites [change]
|Wikisource has original writing related to this article:|
- Tomb of Pius II
- Commentaries (1584 edition) digitized version of book
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Pius II
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Piccolomini
- "The Piccolomini Library"