Pope Pius VIII
|Papacy began||31 March 1829|
|Papacy ended||30 November 1830|
|Predecessor||Pope Leo XII|
|Successor||Pope Gregory XVI|
|Birth name||Francesco Saverio Castiglioni|
|Born||20 November 1761|
|Died||30 November 1830 (aged 69)|
|Other Popes named Pius|
Pope Pius VIII (Latin: Pius Octavus; 20 November 1761 – 30 November 1830), born Francesco Saverio Castiglioni was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 254th Pope from 1829 and 1830.
Early life [change]
Cardinal Castiglioni was elected Pope 1829; and his reign lasted only 20 months.
Related pages [change]
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Pius VIII," Encyclopedia Britannica (1911), Vols. 21-22, p. 687.
- "Pope Pius VIII", Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-10-02.
- Cormenin, Louis-Marie de Lahaye. (1859).Pope "Pius the Eignth," A Complete History of the Popes of Rome, Vol. II, p. 429.
Other websites [change]
|Wikisource has original writing related to this article:|
- "Pope Pius X". Catholic Encyclopedia. (1913). New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Pius VIII
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Castiglioni