|Directed by||Hayao Miyazaki|
|Produced by||Toshio Suzuki|
|Written by||Hayao Miyazaki (screenplay and story)
Neil Gaiman (English adaptation)
Billy Bob Thornton
|Music by||Joe Hisaishi|
|Editing by||Takeshi Seyama|
|Distributed by|| Toho
|Release date(s)|| July 12, 1997
October 29 1999
November 26 1999
October 19 2001
|Running time||134 min|
Princess Mononoke (もののけ姫 Mononoke Hime ) is a 1997 anime movie made by Hayao Miyazaki. The long animation movie of Studio Ghibli. The catch copy of this movie is Ikiro(生きろ). Mononoke is not a name, but a word that means spirit or monster in Japanese. The forest in Princess Mononoke looks like Yaku-shima(屋久島).
This movie takes place in Japan during the Muromachi period. Once upon a time there was a small village in Ezo. People lived peacefully. Ashitaka lived there. But one day the evil god attacked to the village and Ashitaka was cursed. The evil god was once a god of the forest, but he was shot by human and died in terrible pain. Ashitaka knew his hour of death and he went to the west where the bullet which killed the god was made. On his journey, he met one man called Jikobo. He told Ashitaka where the Forest of Shishigami is, so Ashitaka decided to get there. On the way to the forest, he met the girl brought up into wolf by wolf god called Moro. Because she was with her family and he thought they must know about the forest, Ashitaka called out to them but she and three big wild wolves disappeared into the forest. Then he came across injured men and helped them. Finally he reached the village Tatara, where these injured men lived. Eboshi Gozen organized the village and people made iron weapons there. She wanted to get the Forest of Shishigami, turn all Gods in the forest out, and make it men-centered place.
By the way, it was said that Shishigami had a power of immortality. Because people wanted this power, they aimed at the head of Shishigami. Then these people, Shishigami, Eboshi and her people, San and Ashitaka started and were involved in hugh complicated war for the forest. And in this war, Ashitakar and San became understood each other little by little.
- Ashitaka (Ashitakahiko)..Main character. Boy of a strong sense of justice. Seventeen yesrs old. He gets curse on the right hand as a big snakelike bruise. It sometimes gives him mighty power but shrtens his life at the same time.
- San-Princess Mononoke The girl who was raised by a Japanese wolf. Fifteen years old. She hates human because they destroy forest, so she attacks Tataraba many times. She puts grotesque clay mask on her face.
- Yakul The antelope which acts with Ashitaka.
- Moro The wolf which is three hundreds years old. She is considered to be a god of the mountain. She speaks Japanese.
- Eboshi Gozen She is the leader of Tataraba. She is admired and liked by people She wants to get Shishigami's forest.
- Shishigami God who delivers the life. It transform into huge translucent blue creature called Didarabocci at night.
- Okkotonushi The wild boar which is five hundreds years old. God of wild boar.
- Jikobo Man who told Ashitaka about the Forest of Shishigami. he aimed at the head of Shishigami.
Theme Song [change]
Theme song is "Mononoke Hime（もののけ姫）". The composer of this song is Joe Hisaishi, who deals with many songs of Studio Ghibli . This song's singer "Mera Yoshikazu" became famous in Japan when Princess Mononoke was showed. He is a countertenor singer and his very high voice shocked the then people.