Vertical panoramic view of the Prudential Tower
|Type||Office, Observation, Restaurant|
|Location||800 Boylston Street, Boston, Massachusetts, United States|
|Antenna spire||907 feet (276 m)|
|Roof||749 feet (228 m)|
|Floor area||1.2 million square feet (111,484 m²)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||The Luckman Partnership|
The Prudential Tower, also called the Prudential Building or The Pru, is a skyscraper in Boston, Massachusetts. The building is the 2nd-tallest building in Boston. It was designed by Charles Luckman and Associates for Prudential Insurance and was completed in 1964. It is 749 feet (228 m) tall and has 52 floors. With its radio mast, the tower is 907 feet (276 m) and is the tallest building in Boston. It has an observation deck, called the "Prudential Skywalk", on its 50th floor. It is currently the highest observation deck in New England that is open to the public. The building also has a restaurant on the 52nd floor, called "Top of the Hub."
History[change | edit source]
Construction on the Prudential Tower began in 1960. When it was completed in 1964, it was the tallest building in the world outside of New York City.
Since the Prudential Tower was built, other tall buildings have been built in Boston. Today, it is not one of the fifty tallest buildings in the USA.
Ownership[change | edit source]
Boston Properties currently owns the Prudential Tower.
Broadcast tenants[change | edit source]
The main rooftop mast has two FM master antennas, and a television antenna. The roof also has a smaller tower with standby antennas. These antennas broadcast several Boston radio stations.
List of tenants[change | edit source]
- Ropes & Gray, 17 floors, mostly above 26th floor; reception on 48th floor.
- Partners HealthCare, several floors; head office is on the 11th
- SAS, 22nd floor
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi, L.L.P., 25th floor
- Posternak, Blankstein & Lund LLP, 32nd-33rd floors
- Exeter Group, 35th floor
- St. Francis Chapel, ground floor of the Prudential Center Complex
References[change | edit source]
- e.g. Burge, Kathleen (2006), "Made You Look! Yeah, There's the Top of the Pru, But There Are Other Amazing Views—If You Know Where to Find Them. The Boston Globe, July 16, 2006, p. C1
- Feeney, Mark (1998), "The Homely Landmark's a Skyscraper We Can't Stop Looking Down On, But in '65, It Gave The City a Big Boost" The Boston Globe,, February 3, 1998, page C1: "'The Pru' everyone calls it: a resigned shrug of a name, as flat and uninflected as the wan moue its pronunciation requires."
- Accenture Office Directory
Other websites[change | edit source]
- Boston Properties - The Prudential (Tower)
- Boston Properties - The Prudential Center
Custom House Tower
|Tallest Building in Boston
John Hancock Tower
|Tallest building in the United States outside of New York City
John Hancock Center