Bennett Foddy, pictured on October 20, 2009, was the creator of QWOP.
|Type of site||Flash game|
|Launched||November 2008 |
|Alexa rank||20,425 (as of 3 February 2011)|
QWOP is a Flash game created by Bennett Foddy and released on the Internet in 2008 to his website called "Foddy.net". Players play as an athlete named "Qwop", who is participating in a 100-meter sprint event at the Olympic Games. Using only the Q, W, O and P keys, players must control the movement of the legs to make the character move forward. When the player has successfully reached 50 meters they must jump a hurdle, and at 100 meters the player is encouraged to perform a long jump, although simply passing the finish line is sufficient to complete the game.
The game has been criticized for being too hard to get good at. In early December 2010, the game had a viral popularity outbreak after video blogger Ray William Johnson reviewed a YouTube video that annotates the game, becoming the subject of an Internet meme. Despite this, the game helped Foddy’s site reach 30 million views. After the success of the game, Foddy created another flash game called "GIRP", which was released on his site in 2011.
References[change | edit source]
- "QWOP". The Games List. http://www.thegameslist.com/game/3280/QWOP. Retrieved 2010-12-26.
- "Foddy.net site info". Alexa. http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/foddy.net. Retrieved 2011-02-03.
- "Browser Game Pick: QWOP (Benzido)". 2008-11-07. http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2008/11/browser_game_pick_qwop_olympic.html. Retrieved 2010-12-25.
- Biado, Ed (2010-12-14). "What’s so hard about QWOP?". Manila Standard Today. http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/insideLifestyle.htm?f=2010/december/14/lifestyle2.isx&d=2010/december/14. Retrieved 2010-12-25.
- Johnson, Ray William. "GOOFY RUN". =3: RayWilliamJohnson's Channel. YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i2zaDSXhFM. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- Cr1TiKaL (penguinz0). "The Most Difficult Game Ever Created Gameplay and Commentary". Cr1TiKaL's Channel. YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmcMG4uxiHk. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- "Web Search Interest: qwop". Google Insights for Search. Google. http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=qwop&date=today%201-m&cmpt=q. Retrieved 2010-12-25.
- "Current Google Insights trends: Elizabeth Edwards, QWOP and Chrome OS". The Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/current-google-insights-trends-elizabeth-edwards-qwop-and-chrome-os-2159209.html. Retrieved 2011-08-14.
- "QWOP Flash Game". Know Your Meme. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/qwop-flash-game. Retrieved 2011-08-14.
- Benenson, Fred. "Meet Bennett Foddy: The man behind QWOP and GIRP". Wired Magazine. http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2011/09/start/no-pain-no-gain. Retrieved 2011-08-14.