|Born||September 28, 1982
Hamilton, ON, CAN
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight||215 lb (98 kg; 15 st 5 lb)|
Atlant Moscow Oblast
|NHL Draft||99th overall, 2001
Raymond "Ray" Emery (born September 28, 1982 in Hamilton, Ontario) is a professional ice hockey player. He currently plays for the Chicago Blackhawks of the National Hockey League (NHL). Emery has also played for the Ottawa Senators, Philadelphia Flyers and Anaheim Ducks of the National Hockey League (NHL). He has also played in KHL with the Atlant Moscow Oblast. Emery has been awarded many honors, most from the minor league.
Emery has been given various nicknames over his career, most goes by "Razor" and "Sugar Ray." In the 2001 NHL entry draft, Emery was chosen 99th overall by the Ottawa Senators. Emery was made starting goaltender in the 2006-07 NHL season. That year, the Senators made it to the Stanley Cup finals. On June 20, 2008, after some off-ice incidents, the Senators released Emery. Under one month later, Emery signed a one year, $2M contract with Atlant Mytishchi of the Russian KHL. After his time in Russia, it was announced on June 10, 2009 that the Philadelphia Flyers had signed him to a one-year deal for $1.5 million. In March of 2010, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren announced that Emery would miss the remainder of the season because of avascular necrosis and that a bone graft would be done to alleviate his hip issues. Emery began workout and rehabilitation process and later signed a one year, two-way contract with the Anaheim Ducks on February 7, 2011. During his time with the Ducks, he tied for fourth in the league after he posted a 7–2–0 record with a 2.28 goals-against average (GAA) and a .926 save percentage (SV%) in 10 regular season games going into the playoffs. He attended the Chicago Blackhawks training camp on a tryout basis and was later signed by the Blackhawks to a 1-year, $600,000 deal.
Emery has been known for getting into several altercations while playing ice hockey, a rarity for a ice-hockey goaltender.. Emery once fought two Buffalo Sabres players, Martin Biron and Andrew Peters in a line brawl during the 2006-07 NHL season. He also fought with his teammate, Brian McGrattan, during a practice in January 2008. He has also fought with teammate's Jason Spezza and Chris Neil.
Career statistics [change]
Regular season [change]
|1999–00||Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds||OHL||16||9||3||0||716||36||1||3.02||.908|
|2000–01||Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds||OHL||52||18||29||2||2938||174||1||3.55||.904|
|2001–02||Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds||OHL||59||33||17||9||3477||158||4||2.73||.914|
|2008–09||Atlant Moscow Oblast||KHL||36||22||8||0||2070||73||0||1.86||.926|
Statistics as of 2010-07-28
|1999–00||Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds||OHL||15||8||7||883||33||3||2.24||.926|
|2001–02||Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds||OHL||6||2||4||360||19||1||3.16||.925|
|2008–09||Atlant Moscow Oblast||KHL||7||3||3||419||13||0||1.86||.941|
- "Ray Emery". NHL. http://www.nhl.com/players/8469548.html. Retrieved 2007-06-27.
- "Sens, Kings take steps to buy out Emery, Cloutier". TSN. 2008-06-20. http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241222&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- Cole, Stephen (2006). The Canadian Hockey Atlas. Doubleday Canada. ISBN 978-0-385-66093-8 (0-385-66093-6).
- Ken Warren (2007-06-10). "Razor likely to go under the knife for wrist injury; Ottawa Senators starting goalie Ray Emery admits to playing hurt for most of the season". Ottawa Citizen. http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey/senatorsstory.html?id=68facf83-a9bf-4174-b0f1–5a35fe48aaaa&k=68131. Retrieved 2007-06-26.
- Don Brennan (2007-02-24). "Emery gets an earful; Sugar Ray's mom none too pleased about fisticuffs in Buffalo". Ottawa Sun. http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2007/02/24/3662176-sun.html. Retrieved 2007-06-26.
- "Emery signs one-year deal with Russian team". TSN.ca. 2008-07-09. http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=242925. Retrieved 2008-07-09.
- "Flyers sign goalie Ray Emery to one-year deal". Sports Illustrated. 2009-06-10. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/hockey/nhl/06/10/flyers.emery/index.html. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Emery Out for the Season". Philadelphia Flyers. 2010-03-02. http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=519655. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Emery Named Finalist for Masterton Trophy". Anaheim Ducks. 2011-04-26. http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=561039&navid=DL. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Blackhawks agree to terms with Emery, assign Salak". Chicago Blackhawks. 2011-10-03. http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=590925&navid=DL. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- Alex Yannis (1989-10-24). "5 Ejected for Fighting As Devils Stop Leafs". New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DE7D81630F937A15753C1A96F948260. Retrieved 2008-02-10.
Other websites [change]