|William Marsh Rice University|
Photo of the Sallyport
|Motto||Letters, Science, Art|
|Endowment||$4.45 billion (as of 2012)|
|President||David W. Leebron|
|Academic staff||650 full time|
|Students||5,760 (fall 2010)|
|Undergraduates||3,485 (fall 2010)|
|Postgraduates||2,275 (fall 2010)|
|Location||Houston, Texas, US|
|Campus||Urban, 295 acres (1.19 km2)|
|Former names||William M. Rice Institute for the Advancement of Literature, Science and Art (1912-1960)|
|Colors||Blue & Grey|
|Athletics||14 varsity teams
NCAA Division I
|Mascot||Sammy the Owl|
William Marsh Rice University, also called Rice University, is a private university in Houston, Texas. Rice was started in 1912. It is ranked one of the best universities in the world, especially for undergraduate education. Rice is named after the Houston businessman William Marsh Rice who provided the money in his will to begin the university.
Rice is organized into eleven residential colleges and eight schools of study, for natural sciences, engineering, humanities, business, architecture, and music. The students at Rice abide by an honor code that is strictly enforced.
References[change | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Rice University|
- "2011 Town Hall Meeting Minutes" (PDF). the Rice Thresher. Archived from the original on 2009-09-11. http://www.ricethresher.org/. Retrieved February 25, 2011.
- "Rice Facts - Faculty and Staff". Rice University. Archived from the original on 2012-07-28. http://professor.rice.edu/professor/Faculty_and_Staff.asp. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "Rice Students Enrollment and Demographics". Rice University. Archived from the original on 2012-07-28. http://professor.rice.edu/professor/Students3.asp. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "Rice Facts - Campus". Rice University. http://www.professor.rice.edu/professor/Campus.asp. Retrieved 2008-11-21.[dead link]
- "William Marsh Rice, Founder of Rice University: exhibit". Rice University - Fondren Library. http://library.rice.edu/collections/WRC/digital-archive-information/online-exhilbits/william-marsh-rice-founder-of-rice-university-exhibit. Retrieved 2011-01-18.[dead link]
- "National Universities Rankings - Best College". U.S. News & World Report. 2011. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings. Retrieved 2011-02-01.
- "Rice Facts - Academic Schools". Rice University. http://www.professor.rice.edu/professor/Academic_Schools.asp. Retrieved 2008-11-22.
- "Honor Code". Rice University. http://www.futureowls.rice.edu/futureowls/Honor_Code.asp?SnID=305899819. Retrieved 2011-02-06.