Riverton is a city of Iowa in the United States. It is built beside the East Nishnabotna River. In 2000, there were 304 people living in Riverton. The 1881 robbery of the Sexton Bank at Riverton was thought to be the work of Jesse James. It was later found out to be the work of the outlaw Polk Wells.
The first settler in the Riverton area was Coleman Smith who built his house there in 1859. He later brought his family to Riverton by boat.
On July 11th, 1881, the Nishna ValleyBank was robbed at gunpoint of $4000. One of the robbers, Polk Wells, was shot during the robbery by the owner of a nearby store.
Two miles north of Riverton is the Riverton Wildlife Management Area. This is 2,700 acres (1,093 ha) of marsh and wetland which is the breeding area for many types of duck. During the spring there can be as many as 100,000 snow geese in the area. It is a popular place for hunting. It floods during the spring and then dries out during the summer. There are three boat ramps in the area.
References[change | edit source]
- "Riverton, Iowa IA Cmmunity Profile". IA Hometown Locator. http://iowa.hometownlocator.com/ia/fremont/riverton.cfm. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- Settle, William A. Jesse James Was His Name: Or, Fact and Fiction Concerning the Careers of the Notorious James Brothers of Missouri. University of Nebraska Press, 1977. ISBN 0803258607.
- "Founder of Riverton". Riverton, Iowa History: Fun Facts. January 17 2007. http://www.rivertoniowahistory.zoomshare.com/2.shtml. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- "Bank Robbery". Riverton, Iowa History: Fun Facts. January 17 2007. http://www.rivertoniowahistory.zoomshare.com/2.shtml. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- Harp, Ed. "Head South for Iowa waterfowl". Game and Fish. http://www.iowagameandfish.com/hunting/ducks-geese-hunting/IA_1105_02/. Retrieved 2009-10-16.