|Type of site||Film review aggregator and forum|
|Created by||Senh Duong|
|Alexa rank||▲ 748 (February 2013[update])|
Rotten Tomatoes is a website dedicated to reviews, information, and news of movies and video games. The name derives from the vaudeville-era cliché of throwing tomatoes and other products at stage performers if a performance was particularly bad. The company has been owned by Flixster, a Warner Bros. company, since May 2011.
History[change | edit source]
Rotten Tomatoes was launched on August 12, 1998, as a spare time project by Senh Duong. His goal in creating Rotten Tomatoes was "to create a site where people can get access to reviews from a variety of critics in the US".
Sources[change | edit source]
- "Warner Bros. – press release". Cision Wire. http://www.cisionwire.com/warner-bros--home-entertainment-group/warner-bros--press-release---warner-bros--home-entertainment-group-to-acquire-flixster116411. Retrieved 2011-05-04.
- "Rottentomatoes.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 2013-02-03.
- Matt Atchity on The Young Turks Show
- Lazarus, David (April 26, 2001). "San Francisco Chronicle, 2001". Sfgate.com. http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Fresh-Look-For-Rotten-Tomatoes-Help-from-3304427.php. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- "Senh Duong interview, 2000". Asianconnections.com. August 19, 1999. http://www.asianconnections.com/entertainment/rotten_tomatoes.php. Retrieved 2009-12-04.