|Born||Ruth L. Robinson
July 23, 1918
Rush City, Minnesota, U.S.
|Died||January 16, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.
|Years active||1939, 1981|
(m.1943-1994; his death)
Ruth Duccini (July 23, 1918 – January 16, 2014) was an American actress and writer. She was one of the last two surviving Munchkins from the 1939 movie The Wizard of Oz. The other is Jerry Maren. Duccini was the last surviving female from the movie and also the oldest.
Her role in the movie as a Munchkin villager was not credited. Her most recent appearance was when she (along with the other surviving Munchkins from The Wizard of Oz) was presented with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
While Duccini could not remember what she earned filming Oz in 2013. She said that the Munchkin village actors were paid $125 a week during filming.
Duccini made the news again when Baroness Margaret Thatcher died and critics of the former Prime Minister tried to propel "Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead" on the radio charts to celebrate her passing. Duccini and Maren both called the campaign "terrible" and were saddened by the movement while insisting the song was never to be used in such a way.
References[change | change source]
- "Last female 'Oz' Munchkin dies at 95". CNN.com. http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/17/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/wizard-of-oz-munchkin-duccini-dies/index.html. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- Duccini and other surviving Munchkins receiving a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
- "Mickey Carroll, A Munchkin From The 1939 Classic Film ‘The Wizard Of Oz,’ Dies At 89". Access Hollywood. http://www.accesshollywood.com/mickey-carroll-a-munchkin-from-the-1939-classic-film-the-wizard-of-oz-dies-at-89_article_17695. Retrieved 08/07/2013.
- McDermott, Kerry (04/13/2013). "Wizard of Oz munchkins slam protesters for using film song Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead to mock Thatcher’s death". Mail Online. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2308472/Margaret-Thatcher-dead-Wizard-Oz-munchkins-slam-protestors-using-film-song-Ding-Dong-The-Witch-Dead-mock-Thatchers-death.html. Retrieved 08/07/2013.
- Final female 'Oz' Munchkin Ruth Duccini dead at 95