San Cristóbal Province
|- elevation||33 m (108 ft)|
|Area||1,265.77 km² (489 sq mi)|
|Density||450.3 /km² (1,166 /sq mi)|
6 municipal districts
|Area code||1-809 1-829 1-849|
The San Cristóbal province is in the south part of the country. It is bordered to the northwest by the Monseñor Nouel province, to the northeast by the Monte Plata province, to the east by the Santo Domingo province and to the west by the Peravia and San José de Ocoa province. The Caribbean Sea is to the south.
Origin of name [change]
The San Cristóbal province has a total area of 1,265.77 km². It has 2.6% of the area of the Dominican Republic and it is ranked as the 19th (out of 31 provinces plus the National District) largest province.
The municipalities and their municipal districts (M.D.) are:
- San Cristóbal, head municipality of the province
- Hato Damas (M.D.)
- Bajos de Haina
- El Carril (M.D.)
- Cambita Garabito
- Cambita El Pueblecito (M.D.)
- Los Cacaos
- Sabana Grande de Palenque
- Villa Altagracia
In 2010 (last national census), there were 569,930 people living in the San Cristóbal province, and 295,539 (51.86%) living in towns and cities. The population density was 450.3 persons/km², one of the highest in the country. Most of the people lives in the south half of the province.
Its population represents 6.0% of the total population of the country and the province is ranked as the 4th (out of 31 plus the National District) more populated province.
The most important rivers are:
- Haina, in the eastern border of the province;
- Nigua, that crosses the capital city; and
- Nizao, in the western border of the province.
- Listado de Códigos de Provincias, Municipio y Distritos Municipales, Oficina Nacional de Estadistica
- Oficina Nacional de Estadística. "División Territorial 2008" (in Spanish) (PDF). http://www.one.gob.do/index.php?module=uploads&func=download&fileId=1098. Retrieved 2009-10-01.
- Oficina Nacional de Estadística. "IX Censo Nacional de Población y Vivienda. Informe Básico" (in Spanish) (PDF). http://censo2010.one.gob.do/resultados/Resumen_resultados_generales_censo_2010.pdf. Retrieved 2013-1-29.