Scarlino is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Grosseto in the Italian region Tuscany. It is about 100 km (62 mi) southwest of Florence and about 25 km (16 mi) northwest of Grosseto.
Scarlino borders the following municipalities: Castiglione della Pescaia, Follonica, Gavorrano, Massa Marittima.
Scarlino in the first time was under the control of the Aldobrandeschi family, later under the bishops of Roselle and then the Alberti family. In the 13th century it was bought again by the Aldobrandeschi, but later it passed to Pisa and then the Appiani of Piombino.
Until early 19th century, Scarlino was still a part of Principality of Piombino few time later when it became part of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany.
Important monuments and places in Scarlino [change]
- Walls, built from the 11th century and fixed in the 13th century.
- Rocca Aldobrandesca ("Aldobrandeschi Castle"),
- Church and convent of San Donato.
- Oratory of Santa Croce.
- Church of San Martino (14th century).
- Convent of Monte Muro.
- ↑ All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
Other websites [change]