Schöneberg is a locality of Berlin. Until Berlin's 2001 administrative reform it was a separate borough including the locality of Friedenau. Together with the former borough of Tempelhof it is now part of the new borough of Tempelhof-Schöneberg.
History[change | change source]
Alt & Neu Schöneberg were combined as one entity in 1874 and received town privileges in 1898. In 1920 Schöneberg became a part of Greater Berlin. Its town hall Rathaus Schöneberg was completed in 1914. Subsequent to World War II it served as the city hall of West Berlin until 1991 when the administration of the reunited City of Berlin moved back to the Rotes Rathaus in Mitte.
Notable Individuals[change | change source]
Born in Schöneberg[change | change source]
- Blixa Bargeld, musician, born 12 January 1959
- Marlene Dietrich, actress, born 27 December 1901, Sedanstraße 65 (today: Leberstraße 65), Rote Insel, died 6 May 1992 in Paris, buried in the Städtischer Friedhof III cemetery, Friedenau
- Gisèle Freund, photographer, born 19 December 1908, Bayerisches Viertel, died 31 March 2000 in Paris
- Wilhelm Furtwängler, conductor, born 25 January 1886, Maaßenstraße 1 at Nollendorfplatz, died 30 November 1954 in Ebersteinburg, Baden-Baden
- Alfred Lion, co-founder of the Blue Note jazz record label, born 21 April 1909, Gotenstraße 7, died 2 February 1987 in New York City
- Helmut Newton, photographer, born 31 October 1920, Innsbrucker Straße 24, died 23 January 2004 in West Hollywood, buried in the Städtischer Friedhof III cemetery, Friedenau
- Nelly Sachs, writer, holder of the 1966 Nobel Prize for Literature, born 10 December 1891, Maaßenstraße 12, died 12 May 1970 in Stockholm
- Willi Stoph, politician, born 9 July 1914, Rote Insel, died 13 April 1999 in Berlin
Dwelt in Schöneberg[change | change source]
- Hans Baluschek, painter lived at the Ceciliengärten housing estate 1929-1933
- August Bebel (1840–1913) Hauptstraße 97.
- Gottfried Benn (1886–1956) Bozener Straße 20.
- David Bowie (Born 1947) and Iggy Pop (Born 1947) Hauptstraße 155.
- Ferruccio Busoni (1866–1924) Viktoria-Luise-Platz 11. Buried in Städtischer Friedhof III cemetery, Friedenau
- Albert Einstein (1879–1955) Haberlandstraße 5.
- Hans Fallada (1893–1947) Luitpoldstraße 11.
- Sepp Herberger (1897–1977) Bülowstraße.
- Christopher Isherwood (1904–1986) Nollendorfstraße 17.
- Klaus Kinski, actor, lived on Wartburgstraße 3 1930-1944
- Hildegard Knef, actress lived on Sedanstraße 68 (Rote Insel).
- Else Lasker-Schüler (1869–1945) Motzstraße 7.
- Friedrich Naumann (1860-1919) Naumannstrasse
- Rudolf Steiner and Marie Steiner-von Sivers Motzstraße 30 1903-1923
- Claire Waldoff, singer, born 21 October 1884 in Gelsenkirchen, died 22 January 1957 in Bad Reichenhall lived at Bamberger Straße, Starnberger Straße 2, Landshuter Straße 14, Regensburger Straße 33 1919–1933, Haberlandstraße 7
- Billy Wilder (1906–2002) Viktoria-Luise-Platz 11 from (1927 to 1928).
- Paul Zech Naumannstraße 78