|Motto: "Classic Town. Broad Horizon"|
|• City Council||Mayor Cary Wacker
Joe N. Smith
Robert G. Softly
Deputy Mayor Pamela L. Howeth
|• City Manager||George Olson|
|• City||38.6 sq mi (100.0 km2)|
|• Land||38.5 sq mi (99.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||735 ft (224 m)|
|• Density||977.5/sq mi (384.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1368131|
History[change | edit source]
The city of Sherman had some human and environmental problems over the years. For example, a huge tornado happened in 1896. A race riot, which is a type of violent protest, happened in 1930 after a black man was accused of raping a white woman. People from the town burned the man in his jail cell and took his body into the streets. The people also burned down the black business district.
Present[change | edit source]
Sherman is about 65 miles north of Dallas at the intersection of U.S. Highway 75 and U.S. Highway 82. It has a number of public schools and colleges. It even has its own symphony orchestra, which is not common for a city of its size. Manufacturing is a big part of the local economy. Also, several national companies have plants in Sherman. It is a good city for tourism and international students.
References[change | edit source]
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Sherman (Texas, United States) - Britannica Online Encyclopedia". Britannica.com. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/540085/Sherman. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- "Grayson County, Texas". Proagency.tripod.com. http://proagency.tripod.com/graysoncounty.html. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- "Communities KTEN Serves - KTEN.com Sherman Denison Ardmore News Weather Sports". Kten.com. http://www.kten.com/category/78060/info-communities-kten-serves. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- [unreliable source?]
- "Sherman, TX Tornado, May 1896 - Death Rode the Gale, part 1 | GenDisasters ... Genealogy in Tragedy, Disasters, Fires, Floods". .gendisasters.com. 2007-11-15. http://www3.gendisasters.com/node/2894. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- "Tornado decimates Texas town — History.com This Day in History — 5/15/1896". History.com. http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/tornado-decimates-texas-town. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- "A Painful Present as Historians Confront a Nation's Bloody Past". World History Archives. 2000-02-22. http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/45a/316.html. Retrieved 2011-12-02.
- "Brief History of Perrin Air Force Base". Perrin Field Historical Society. 2004-07-01. http://www.perrinfield.org/history.htm. Retrieved 2011-12-02.