Sichuan (Chinese: 四川; Pinyin: Sì Chuān) is a province in western China with its capital at Chengdu. It is also informally called 蜀 (Pinyin: Shǔ). Its Governor is Wei Hong and its CPC Ctte Secretary is Wang Dongming. With a population of 87,250,000 (2006), Sichuan is the third most populated administrative division of China. Sichuan used to be the province with the most people in China before Chongqing was separated from it, making Henan the most populous. However, when including migrants, Guangdong has more people than Henan.
The name 四川 (Pinyin: Sì Chuān) is an abbreviation of 四川路 (Pinyin: Sì Chuān Lù, translated as "Four circuits/subdivisions of rivers"), which is itself shortened from 川峡四路 (Pinyin: Chuān Xiá Sì Lù, translated as "Four circuits of rivers and gorges").
There are 18 subdivisions within Sichuan, including both prefecture-level cities and autonomous prefectures:
- Aba Tibetan Qiang Autonomous Prefecture
- Ganzi Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture
- Liangshan Yi Autonomous Prefecture
The Li Bai Memorial (located at his birthplace, Zhongba Town of northern Jiangyou County) is a museum in memory of the Chinese poet of the Tang Dynasty, Li Bai. It was prepared in 1962 on the occasion of 1,200th anniversary of his death, completed in 1981 and opened to the public in October 1982. The memorial is built in the style of the classic garden of the Tang Dynasty.
Sichuan has a long history of folk and classical music. Sichuan opera is an ancient tradition that very is well-known. The Sichuan lantern drama is popular in Sichuan. The Sichuan Conservatory of Music in Chengdu is one of the oldest of musical education in China, having been established in 1939.
- Chinese Basketball Association
- Chinese Football Association Super League
- Chengdu Blades
- Chinese Volleyball League
- Sichuan Volleyball Team
- China Table Tennis Super League
- Sichuan Quan-Xing Table-Tennis Team
- Southwestern University of Finance and Economics (Chengdu)
- Sichuan University (Chengdu)
- Southwest Jiaotong University (Chengdu)
- University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (Chengdu)
- Southwest University of Science and Technology (Mianyang)
- Dazu Rock Carvings - officially part of Chongqing Municipality, not Sichuan
- Huanglong, Scenic and Historic Interest Area
- Jiuzhaigou Valley, Scenic and Historic Interest Area
- Mount Emei, Scenic Area
- Leshan Giant Buddha, Scenic Area
- Mount Qincheng and Dujiangyan Irrigation System
- Sichuan Giant Panda Sanctuaries