Spyro the Dragon is a series of video games, the first title was released for Sony's PlayStation. The Spyro series has become very popular since the first release and several sequels and spin offs. The Spyro series has sold more than 20 million units worldwide.
The original game[change | edit source]
The first game, Spyro the Dragon, featured Spyro, a small purple dragon, his dragonfly companion, Sparx, and a multitude of fellow dragons. It takes place in the Dragon Realms, an imaginary fantasy world, which is itself divided in six worlds: Artisans, Peace Keepers, Magic Crafters, Beast Makers, Dream Weavers, and Gnasty's World.
At the beginning of the game the main antagonist, Gnasty Gnorc (a half gnome, half orc hybrid) seeks revenge against the dragons for banishing him and traps them in stone. Spyro, which is also the main protagonist of the game, was out playing hooky, and thus was spared from a crystal prison. The point of the game is to charge, fly, and flame your way through each world and defeat enemies, save dragons, and eventually face and take down Gnasty.
Sequels[change | edit source]
In Spyro 2, Spyro and Sparx accidentally stumble upon the realm of Avalar, where the malicious Ripto is taking over the once-peaceful lands. Spyro was looking forward to having some rest but instead is dragged into a new adventure. In this episode of the series, the small dragon also meets a number of new allies, including the Professor, Hunter the cheetah, Elora the fawn, and Zoe the fairy, and must face a new foe: Ripto, a tiny mean dinosaur, who had a magic staff, and protected by Crush and Gulp, two dinosaurs who are not very smart. The game introduces some new movements which Spyro can do to advance in his quest, including swimming, climbing, and head-butting.
In Spyro: Year of the Dragon, the dragons are celebrating the coming of dragon eggs. This event takes place every twelve years. A mysterious girl comes by and steals all the eggs. Spyro, Sparx, and Hunter must follow her down a rabbit hole to the other side of the world - to the Forgotten Realms. There they meet many new allies, which are also playable characters - Sheila the kangaroo, Srgt. Byrd the flying penguin, Bentley the yeti, and Agent Nine a monkey. The third game of the Spyro series also feature levels in which the player controls Sparx, in a bird's eye view shooting game. Spyro and his new friends must find out why the Sorceress stole the eggs, what she plans to do with them, and how to stop her.
Spyro on other systems[change | edit source]
Besides the three PlayStation titles, there are five Spyro games on other video game consoles:
Game Boy Advance[change | edit source]
The following Spyro titles are available for the Nintendo GameBoy Advance portable console:
- Spyro: Season of Ice (2001)
- Spyro: Season of Flame (2002)
- Spyro: Attack of the Rhynocs (2003)
- Spyro Orange: The Cortex Conspiracy (2004)
PlayStation 2 and GameCube[change | edit source]
- Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly (2002) was released for both the Sony PlayStation 2 and Nintendo GameCube consoles,
Xbox, PlayStation 2 and GameCube[change | edit source]
- Crash Bandicoot Purple: Ripto's Rampage and Spyro Orange: The Cortex Conspiracy was released in 2004 and features Crash Bandicoot.
Characters[change | edit source]
- Spyro, the main protagonist, a purple dragon.
- Sparx is Spyro's companion. In the game, Sparx acts as a "living" health bar: his color indicates how many hit points Spyro has. Sparx can get more hit points if Spyro kills several animals (sheep, frogs, etc.)
- Hunter was Introduced in Ripto's Rage. Helps the player learn different abilities and occasionally challenges Spyro to various races.
- Moneybags, a wealthy bear who sells Spyro the ability to climb, swim, etc. as well as unlock bridges and passageways.
- The Professor, the creator of the Super-portal in Avalar.
- Elora, a fawn and one of Spyro's friends.