Stanley Peak (Ball Range)
Stanley Peak from Mt. Whymper, 2004
|Elevation||3,155 m (10,351 ft)|
|Prominence||248 m (814 ft)|
|Location||Kootenay National Park
Canadian Rocky Mountains
|First ascent||1901 by Edward Whymper and guides|
|Easiest route||Difficult scramble; UIAA III|
Stanley Peak is a 3,155 m high mountain located in the Ball Range, at the northeastern section of Kootenay National Park, in Canadian Rocky Mountains (British Columbia / Canada). The mountain was named in 1901 by its first climber, the English explorer Edward Whymper, after Frederick Stanley, 16th Earl of Derby, the sixth Governor-General of Canada.. There are sources that date the namimg in 1912 after Stanley H. Mitchell, Secretary-Treasurer of Alpine Club of Canada.
The peak is visible from the Trans-Canada Highway and Highway 93. Stanley Glacier on the northeast face of the peak can be seen up close by following a hiking trail into a hanging valley between the peak and a southern outlier of Storm Mountain.
Stanley Peak can be ascended from a scrambling route by late summer but involves much routefinding among the many ledges and gullies on the north face. Climbing routes (UIAA III) travel the north and northeast faces.
Other BC peaks[change | edit source]
There are another two peaks in British Columbia called Stanley Peak. One is 2,935 m high, located at the Squamish-Lillooet regional district ( ), 24 km north-west from Keyhole Falls and 62 km west from Gold Bridge,. The other is 2,030 m high, in the Stikine region ( ) (90 km north-west from Skagway, Alaska).
References[change | edit source]
- "Stanley Peak - British Columbia #1538". Bivouac.com. http://bivouac.com//MtnPg.asp?MtnId=1538.
- "Stanley Peak". Peakware World Mountain Encyclopedia. Peakware.com. http://www.peakware.com/peaks.html?pk=2106.
- "Peak Stanley". Peakfinder.com. http://www.peakfinder.com/peakfinder.asp?Peakname=Stanley+Peak.
- "Stanley Peak". Geo BC - BC Geographical Names. Governement of British Columbia. http://apps.gov.bc.ca/pub/bcgnws/names/6797.html.
- "Stanley Peak - British Columbia #1801". Bivouac.com. http://bivouac.com//MtnPg.asp?MtnId=1801.
- "Stanley Peak - British Columbia #27133". Bivouac.com. http://bivouac.com//MtnPg.asp?MtnId=27133.