Steinway & Sons
Steinway pianos have got lots of awards. One of the first official recognitions was a gold medal won in 1855 at the American Institute Fair at the New York Crystal Palace just two years after the company's foundation. In 1855–62 Steinway pianos received 35 gold medals. Steinway has been granted around 130 patents in piano making, most of which have expired.
Other than the expensive Steinway & Sons piano brand, Steinway markets two cheaper brands: Boston for the mid-level market and Essex for the entry-level market. The Boston and Essex pianos are made using low-cost components and labor and are made in Asia by other piano manufacturers.
References[change | change source]
- Bambarger, Bradley (Spring 2010). "Instrumental Royalty". Listen: Life with Classical Music (ArkivMusic). http://www.listenmusicmag.com/feature/instrumental-royalty.php. Retrieved July 27, 2011.
- Singer, Aaron (1986). Labor management relations at Steinway & Sons, 1853–1896. Garland. p. 14. .
- Spillane, Daniel (1892). "Musical Instruments – The Piano-Forte". The Popular Science Monthly. 40. Bonnier Corporation. p. 488. . http://books.google.dk/books?id=liADAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA433&pg=PA488#v=onepage&q&f=false. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- Matthew L. Wald (March 28, 1991). "Steinway Changing Amid Tradition". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/28/business/steinway-changing-amid-tradition.html?pagewanted=all. Retrieved July 27, 2011.
- "Steinway & Sons – Patents". Google Patent Search. http://www.google.com/patents?q=Steinway+OR+Steinweg+-Grotrian&scoring=2. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- Larry Fine (Spring 2011). "Boston". Piano Buying Guide 2011. Larry Fine. p. 163. http://www.pianobuyer.com/spring11/163.html. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- Larry Fine (Spring 2011). "Essex". Piano Buying Guide 2011. Larry Fine. p. 166. http://www.pianobuyer.com/spring11/166.html. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- Neudorf, Paula; Soon, Weilun. "Recession's Impact". The Last American Grand. http://www.thelastamericangrand.com/recessionsimpact.html. Retrieved September 5, 2011.