Stop Online Piracy Act
Protest[change | edit source]
Some people and businesses support the new law. Others are alarmed by the law. The supporters worry that current copyright laws are not effective in shutting down piracy websites. The opponents worry that it is a kind of censorship. It is hard to tell which side is correct because the language in the law is still being written.
Many critics questioned the value and likely effects of the protests. Some people questioned the timing of the protests.
Related pages[change | edit source]
References[change | edit source]
- Jones, Melanie. "What is SOPA Bill 2012? 7 Things to Know About Controversial Legislation," International Business Times (US), January 18, 2012;McCullah, Declan. "How SOPA would affect you: FAQ," CNET (US), January 18, 2012; retrieved 2012-1-18.
- Seibt, Sébastian. "SOPA et PIPA tentent d’imposer au monde une vision américaine du droit d’auteur," France24/RFI, 18 January 2021; retrieved 2012-1-18.(French)
- Espinel, Victoria et al. "Combating Online Piracy while Protecting an Open and Innovative Internet," White House (US). January 14, 2012; Friedman, Allan A. "Cybersecurity in the Balance: Weighing the Risks of the PROTECT IP Act and the Stop Online Piracy Act," Brookings (US), November 15, 2011; retrieved 2012-1-18.
- Azarova, Kaerina. "Wikipedia blackout: 24-hour strike against SOPA, PIPA is on," RT (Russia), 18 January, 2012; retrieved 2012-1-18.
- Kaszor, Daniel. "Why is Wikipedia offline and what is SOPA?" National Post (Canada), January 17, 2012; English Wikipedia anti-SOPA blackout; retrieved 2011-1-18.
- Melanie Pinola.  "How to Access Wikipedia During the Anti-SOPA Blackout"]; retrieved 2011-1-18.
- Goodale, Gloria. "Wikipedia blackout: Why even supporters question anti-SOPA move," Christian Science Monitor (US). January 17, 2012; retrieved 2012-1-18.
- "Loi antipiratage américaine: RSF ferme son site en anglais en signe de protestation," L'Express (France). 18 January 2011; Hourdeaux, Jérôme. "Ce mercredi, c'est la 'Journée de la censure américaine''," Nouvel Observateur (France). 11 November 2011; retrieved 2012-1-18. (French)
- Tsykayama, Hayley. "SOPA protests planned by Google, Wikipedia and others on Jan. 18," Washington Post (US), January 17, 2012; retrieved 2012-1-18.
- Barnett, Emma. "Wikipedia Sopa blackout won't solve the problem," The Telegraph (UK). 18 January 2012; retrieved 2012-1-18.
Other websites[change | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Stop Online Piracy Act|