Syndicated means television program being shown on a different television network than the one that first showed the program. A syndicated program can also be a program that was not made for a television network. These types of programs are made and then sold to many different television stations to be shown.
There are different types of syndication:
- First run syndication: First run syndicated programs are programs that are shown for the first time as a syndicated programs. These programs were not made to be shown by a network. Programs that are made in one country and then are shown in other countries are often first run syndicated program.
- Off network syndication: Off network syndicated programs are programs that were first shown on a television network. Later, that network sold the program to other networks or stations so that they can also show it. These programs are also called re-runs.
- Public broadcasting syndication: PBS makes only some of its programs. Much of the things it shows are bought from people who make syndicated programs. These shows are public broadcasting syndicated shows.
Popular examples of syndicated series [change]
- First run series
- Hercules: The Legendary Journeys
- Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
- Xena: Warrior Princess
- Off network series