The Big Bang Theory
|The Big Bang Theory|
|Created by||Chuck Lorre
|Directed by||James Burrows (pilot)
|Theme music composer||Barenaked Ladies|
|Opening theme||"History of Everything" by Barenaked Ladies|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||8|
|No. of episodes||159 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Chuck Lorre
|Producer(s)||Faye Oshima Belyeu|
|Running time||18–22 minutes (without commercials)|
|Production company(s)||Chuck Lorre Productions
Warner Bros. Television
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Audio format||DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1|
|Original run||September 24, 2007–|
It is about two male Caltech scientists who live in an apartment in Pasadena, California. They are in their twenties. One is an experimental physicist from New Jersey (Leonard). The other is a theoretical physicist from Texas (Sheldon) who is asexual and has Asperger syndrome and obsessive-compulsive personality disorder. They live across the hall from an attractive blonde waitress (Penny). She has show business aspirations and is from Nebraska.
Leonard and Sheldon's geekiness and intellect are contrasted with Penny's social skills and common sense for comedic effect. Two equally geeky friends of theirs, Jewish Howard and Indian Rajesh, are also main characters. The show is produced by Warner Bros. Television and Chuck Lorre Productions. The Big Bang Theory is going to continue for at least three more seasons on CBS.
Cast[change | change source]
Main[change | change source]
- Johnny Galecki as Leonard Leakey Hofstadter, Ph.D.
- Jim Parsons as Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.
- Kaley Cuoco as Penny
- Simon Helberg as Howard Wolowitz, M.Eng.
- Kunal Nayyar as Rajesh Koothrappali, Ph.D.
- Sara Rue as Stephanie Barnett, M.D. (recurring for season 2)
- Kevin Sussman as Stuart
- John Ross Bowie as Barry Kripke
Minor/Guest[change | change source]
- Deborah "Debbie" Wolowitz (voiced by Carol Ann Susi and played by someone else (seasons 1-early'ly 8 (2007-2014)))
- Leslie Winkle (played by Sara Gilbert (seasons 1 (2007-2008) and 3 (2009-2010)))
Series overview[change | change source]
|Seasons||Episodes||Originally aired||DVD release date||Nielsen ratings|
|Season premiere||Season finale||Region 1||Region 2||Region 4||U.S. viewers
|1||17||September 24, 2007||May 19, 2008||September 2, 2008||January 12, 2009||April 3, 2009||8.31||59||3.3/9 (TBA)|
|2||23||September 22, 2008||May 11, 2009||September 15, 2009||October 19, 2009||March 3, 2010||10.00||42||3.8/10 (TBA)|
|3||23||September 21, 2009||May 24, 2010||September 14, 2010||September 27, 2010||October 13, 2010||14.12||12||5.3/13 (5)|
|4||24||September 23, 2010||May 19, 2011||September 13, 2011||September 26, 2011||October 5, 2011||13.14||13||4.4/13 (7)|
|5||24||September 22, 2011||May 10, 2012||September 11, 2012||September 3, 2012||October 3, 2012||15.82||8||5.5/16 (5)|
|6||N/A||September 27, 2012||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Production history[change | change source]
The show was first developed for the 2006-2007 television season, but it was fundamentally different to the show we see today. Only Jim Parsons & Johnny Galecki were part of the original pilot, and the character now played by Kaley Cuoco was much meaner to the geeks. CBS did not pick the show up, but gave Bill Prady and Chuck Lorre a second chance. They brought in Kaley Cuoco, along with Simon Helberg & Kunal Nayyar, and retooled the show.
The second pilot of The Big Bang Theory was directed by award-winning television directing veteran James Burrows, who decided not to stay with the show. This reworked pilot led to a 13-episode order by CBS on May 14, 2007. Prior to its airing on CBS, the pilot episode was distributed on iTunes free of charge. The show premiered September 24, 2007, and was picked-up for a full 22-episode season order on October 19, 2007.
Production on the show was halted on November 6, 2007 by the 2007–2008 Writers Guild of America strike. As the strike ended, the show was picked up for a second season along with eleven other shows for the 2008-2009 television season.
The show returned on March 17, 2008 with an earlier time slot and nine new episodes. The second season premiered, in the same slot, on September 22, 2008. During the course of this season, the show bucked the trend of many other returning shows and saw its ratings grow, leading to a two-year renewal through what would be the 2010-11 season.
David Saltzberg, a professor of physics and astronomy at the University of California, Los Angeles, checks scripts and provides dialogue, math equations and diagrams used as props. He says he's more consultant than contributor. Executive producer/co-creator Bill Prady said, "In fact, we're working on giving Sheldon an actual problem that he's going to be working on throughout the [first] season so there's actual progress to the boards ... We worked hard to get all the science right."
Theme song[change | change source]
Barenaked Ladies wrote and recorded the theme song, which describes developments the universe has undergone since the dawn of time. On October 9, 2007, a full-length (1 minute and 45 second) version of the song was released.
DVD/Blu-ray releases[change | change source]
|DVD Name||Release dates||Ep #||Additional Information|
|Region 1||Region 2||Region 4|
|The Complete First Season||September 2, 2008||January 12, 2009||April 3, 2009||17||The 3-disc box set has all the 17 episodes. The one extra feature is an 18-minute short entitled "Quantum Mechanics of The Big Bang Theory: Series Cast and Creators on Why It's Cool to Be a Geek." Running Time: 355 minutes.|
|The Complete Second Season||September 15, 2009||October 19, 2009||March 3, 2010||23||The 4-disc box set has all the 23 episodes. Special features include a Gag Reel, "Physicist to the Stars: Real-Life Physicist/UCLA professor David Saltzberg's consulting relationship to the Show", and "Testing the Infinite Hilarity Hypothesis in relation to the Big Bang Theory: Season 2's Unique Characters and Characteristics." Running Time: 481 minutes.|
|The Complete Third Season||September 14, 2010||September 27, 2010||October 13, 2010 ||23||The 3-disc box set has all the 23 episodes. Special features include a set tour with Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar, an inside look on the third season and a gag reel. This is the first time a season of the show was released on Blu-ray Disc in a 2-Disc Set, with the DVD release. Running Time: 472 minutes.|
|The Complete Fourth Season||September 13, 2011||September 26, 2011||October 5, 2011||24||The 3-disc box set has all the 24 episodes. Special features include the story of the show's theme song with Barenaked Ladies, cast interviews with each other and a gag reel. Running time: 529 minutes. Also available on Blu-ray as a 2-disc set, with an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the recording of "The Wildebeest Implementation."|
|The Complete Fifth Season||September 11, 2012||September 3, 2012||October 1, 2012||24||The 3-disc box set has all the 24 episodes. Special features include a featurette on the show's 100th episode, interviews and a gag reel. Running time: 552 minutes. Also available on Blu-ray/DVD combo pack with UltraViolet download.|
|The Complete Sixth Season||September 10, 2013||September 2, 2013||24|
- Despite the third and fourth seasons receiving Blu-ray releases with their DVD releases, the first and second seasons were only available on DVD when they were released. Warner Bros. has then released the first two seasons on Blu-ray/DVD combo packs with UltraViolet downloads on July 10, 2012. All of the episodes from seasons 1 & 2 on Blu-ray received newly edited surround-sound audio, with the first season including a never-before-seen gag reel, which was not included during the initial first season DVD release.
Ratings[change | change source]
U.S. standard ratings[change | change source]
In the following summary, "rating" is the percentage of all households with televisions that tuned to the show, and "share" is the percentage of all televisions in use at that time that are tuned in. "18-49" is the percentage of all adults aged 18–49 tuned into the show. "Viewers" is the number of viewers, in millions, watching at the time. "Rank" is how well the show did compared to other TV shows aired that week.
Seasonal ratings[change | change source]
Seasonal ratings based on average total viewers per episode of The Big Bang Theory on CBS:
|Season||Timeslot (EDT)||Season Premiere||Season Finale||TV Season||Rank||Viewers
|1||Monday 8:30 P.M. (September 24 – November 12, 2007)
Monday 8:00 P.M. (March 17 – May 19, 2008)
|September 24, 2007||May 19, 2008||2007–2008||#59||8.31|
|2||Monday 8:00 P.M. (September 22, 2008 – present)||September 22, 2008||May 18, 2009||2008–2009||#42||10.00|
|3||Thursday 8:00 P.M. (September 21, 2009 – May 24, 2010)||September 21, 2009||May 24, 2010||2009–2010||#12||14.12|
UK distribution and ratings[change | change source]
The show made its UK debut on Channel 4 on February 14, 2008 bringing in an average audience of 1.0 million viewers. The second episode, shown the following week, also received 1.0 million. For the third episode an average of 1.1 million tuned in. The show is also shown as a 'first-look' on Channel 4's digital offshoot E4 the preceding evening, and brings in 400,000 viewers on average. The 5th episode received 880,000 viewers. After the first 5 episodes, the average number of viewers continues to hover around the 1 million mark. Episode 13 was watched by 1.3 million viewers and was the most watched episode.
In December 2008, Virgin Media made the first nine episodes of the first season available to watch on its TV Choice On Demand service, and the rest of Season 1 was made available in January 2009.
International broadcast[change | change source]
The show is also broadcast in:
- Albania — Digi+ (since April 19, 2009)
- Argentina — Warner Channel (since November, 2007)
- Australia — Nine Network (Originally broadcast Early 2008 during the rating season, however due to low viewership the show was put on hiatus to be broadcast in the off season starting of November 19, 2008)
- Belgium — La Une (since August 31, 2008)
- Bolivia — Warner Channel (since November, 2007)
- Brazil — Warner Channel (since November, 2007)
- Bulgaria - Nova Television (since November 5, 2008)
- Canada — CTV (2008–present), A (2007–2008)
- Peru — Warner Channel (since November, 2007)
- Chile — Warner Channel (since November, 2007)
- El Salvador — Warner Channel (since November, 2007)
- Colombia — Warner Channel
- Costa Rica — Warner Channel
- Cyprus - LTV
- Czech Republic — Prima COOL (since April 7, 2009)
- Denmark — 6'eren (Since January, 2009)
- Dominican Republic — Warner Channel
- Ecuador — Warner Channel
- Fiji - Mai TV
- Finland — Sub (since September 8, 2008)
- France — TPS Star (since October 18, 2008)
- Germany — ProSieben (since 2009)
- Guatemala — Warner Channel
- Honduras — Canal 5
- Hong Kong — ATV World (2011)
- Iceland — Stöð 2 (since August 19, 2008)
- India — Zee Cafe, Star World India
- Ireland — RTÉ Two (since July 11, 2008)
- Israel — yes stars Comedy (since July, 2008)
- Italy — Steel (since January 19, 2008). The show received a lot of criticism due to the poor quality of dubbing, which allegedly "dumbed down" most of the nerdy-geeky jokes.
- Latin America — Warner Channel
- Malaysia — ntv7
- Mexico — Warner Channel
- Netherlands — Veronica (since March 2, 2009)
- New Zealand — TV2 (since September 17, 2008)
- Norway — TVNorge
- Pakistan — Zee Cafe
- Panama — Warner Channel
- Paraguay — Warner Channel
- Peru — Warner Channel
- Philippines — Jack TV C/S 9
- Poland — TVN Siedem (since November 20, 2008) as 'Teoria wielkiego wybuchu' poprawione przez Dr.Lesiu
- Portugal — SET and RTP2 (since July 14, 2008)
- Russia — Paramount Comedy Russia
- Slovenia — Kanal A (since February 23, 2009) as Veliki pokovci (The Big Bangers)
- South Africa — M-Net
- Spain — Antena.neox (since June 12, 2008)
- Sweden — Kanal 5
- Republic of Macedonia — Kanal 5
- Thailand — True Series (since May 26, 2008)
- Trinidad and Tobago — TV6 (since 2008)
- Turkey — CNBC-e (since September 9, 2008)
- Ukraine - Inter channel
- United Kingdom — Channel 4, E4
- Uruguay — Warner Channel
- Venezuela — Warner Channel
References[change | change source]
- "Shows A-Z – big bang theory, the on CBS". the Futon Critic. http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch.aspx?id=big_bang_theory&view=listings. Retrieved September 24, 2012.
- "Big Bang Theory Makes 'Stuart' a Series Regular". TVLine.com. http://tvline.com/2012/08/22/big-bang-theory-kevin-sussman-series-regular/. Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- "As sold on iTunes Music Store". http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?i=266467780&id=266467749&s=143455. Retrieved 2008-10-10.
- The Big Bang Theory Cast & Details — TVGuide.com. Retrieved February 14, 2009.
- "Details, Artwork & Press Release for 1st Season". TVOnMedia.com. http://news.tvonmedia.com/tvom_news_by_show/Big-Bang-Theory-Complete-1st-Season-DVD.shtml. Retrieved 2008-05-24.
- Pierce, Scott D. (2007-09-22.). "Yes, it's a 'Big Bang.'". Deseret Morning News. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20070922/ai_n20521689/pg_1. Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- Goldman, Eric (March 12, 2014). "The Big Bang Theory Renewed For Three More Seasons, Up to Season 10". IGN. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/12/the-big-bang-theory-renewed-for-three-more-seasons-up-to-season-10. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- Matt Mitovich (2008-11-06). "Exclusive Details: Sara Rue Wooed by Big Bang's Leonard". TV Guide. http://www.tvguide.com/News/Big-Bang-casting-35410.aspx. Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- ABC Medianet (May 28, 2008). "Season Program Rankings (Through 5/25)". Press release. http://www.abcmedianet.com/web/dnr/dispDNR.aspx?id=052808_06. Retrieved May 16, 2010.
- ABC Medianet (May 19, 2009). "Season Program Rankings (Through 5/17)". Press release. http://abcmedianet.com/web/dnr/dispDNR.aspx?id=051909_05. Retrieved May 16, 2010.
- Nellie Andreeva (May 27, 2010). "Full Series Rankings For The 2009–10 Broadcast Season". Deadline Hollywood. http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/full-series-rankings-for-the-2009-10-broadcast-season. Retrieved June 7, 2010.
- "The Big Bang Theory – The Complete 4th Season". TVShowsOnDVD.com. http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releases/Big-Bang-Theory-Complete-4th-Season/10476. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- "Big Bang Theory, The – The Complete 4th Season (4 Disc Set)". ezydvd.com. http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/818139. Retrieved June 28, 2011.
- "Big Bang Theory, The – The Complete 4th Season (4 Disc Set)". Ezydvd.com.au. http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/818139. Retrieved October 24, 2011.
- "Full 2010–2011 TV Season Series Rankings". deadline.com. May 27, 2011. http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/full-2010-11-season-series-rankers/#more-135917. Retrieved May 29, 2011.
- Bibel, Sara (July 11, 2012). "CBS Announces Fall 2012-13 Premiere Dates". TV By the Numbers. http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/07/11/cbs-announces-fall-premiere-dates/141201/. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
- "Breaking News - Development Update: May 22-26 (Weekly Round-Up)". TheFutonCritic.com. http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?date=05/26/06&id=7165. Retrieved 2009-05-02.
- "CBS PICKS UP 'BANG,' 'POWER' PLUS FOUR DRAMAS". The Futon Critic. 2007-05-14. http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=7387.
- CBS (2007-10-19). "Breaking News — Cbs Gives Freshman Comedy "The Big Bang Theory" And Drama "The Unit" Full Season Orders". Press release. http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20071019cbs02. Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- "Production Stops on at least 6 Sitcoms". http://tv.yahoo.com/back-to-you/show/41055/news/urn:newsml:tv.ap.org:20071106:hollywood_labor. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- "CBS Picks Up 11 Series". The Futon Critic. 2008-02-15. http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20080214cbs04. Retrieved 2008-02-15.
- The Futon Critic; CBS (2008-02-20). ""The Big Bang Theory" And "How I Met Your Mother" to Swap Time Periods". Press release. http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20080220cbs01. Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- "CBS Sets Series Return Dates". http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-cbsreturndates,0,7656374.story. Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- "Big Bang Theory: Deal Is Done for Two More Seasons!". http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b103928_big_bang_theory_deal_done_two_more.html. Retrieved 2009-11-03.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2009-03-18). "CBS renews 'Men,' 'Big Bang'". Hollywoodreporter.com. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i43b2ec4937929a5062699bf1c78a3a51. Retrieved 2009-05-02.
- Gary Strauss (2007-04-11). "There's a science to CBS' Big Bang Theory". USA Today. http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2007-11-04-big-bang_N.htm. Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- Scott D. Pierce (2007-10-08). "He's a genius". Deseret News. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695216156,00.html?pg=2. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- Barenaked Ladies. "Big Bang Theory Theme". Amazon Digital Services, Inc.. http://www.amazon.com/Big-Bang-Theory-Theme/dp/B000XKMQZY/.
- "The Big Bang Theory – The Complete First Season: Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons: Movies & TV". Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W91RUG. Retrieved October 11, 2009.
- "Big Bang Theory – Season 1 [DVD] : Amazon.co.uk: Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco: DVD". Amazon.co.uk. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001I45PCK. Retrieved October 11, 2009.
- "The Big Bang Theory – Complete 1st Season". mightyape.co.nz. http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/The-Big-Bang-Theory-Complete-1st-Season/2743372/.
- "The Big Bang Theory Season 2 DVD coming in September". The-big-bang-theory.com. http://the-big-bang-theory.com/story/1206/Season-2-DVD-coming-in-September/. Retrieved October 11, 2009.
- "Big Bang Theory – Season 2 [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD". Amazon.co.uk. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0028BAWU2. Retrieved October 11, 2009.
- "The Big Bang Theory – Complete 2nd Season (4 Disc Set)". mightyape.co.nz. http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/The-Big-Bang-Theory-Complete-2nd-Season-4-Disc-Set/3875384/.
- "The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Third Season DVD – Warner Bros.: WBshop.com – The Official Online Store of Warner Bros. Studios". WBshop.com. October 13, 2010. http://www.wbshop.com/The-Big-Bang-Theory-The-Complete-Third-Season/1000117488,default,pd.html?cgid=. Retrieved July 28, 2011.
- "The Big Bang Theory – Season 3 [DVD"]. Amazon.co.uk. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002YGSZBY.
- "Buy Big Bang Theory, The – The Complete 3rd Season (3 Disc Set) @ EzyDVD". Ezydvd.com.au. September 29, 2010. http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/813449. Retrieved July 28, 2011.
- "The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fourth Season DVD – Warner Bros.: WBshop.com – The Official Online Store of Warner Bros. Studios". WBshop.com. http://www.wbshop.com/The-Big-Bang-Theory-The-Complete-Fourth-Season/1000173531,default,pd.html?cgid=. Retrieved July 28, 2011.
- "The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)". Warner Bros. http://www.wbshop.com/product/the+big+bang+theory+the+complete+fifth+season+bluray+1000246644.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search. Retrieved August 11, 2012.
- "The Big Bang Theory - Blu-rays, DVDs for 'The Complete 6th Season': Possible Date, Cost, Box Art". tvshowsondvd.com. http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Big-Bang-Theory-Season-6/18132. Retrieved 2013-3-1.
- "The Big Bang Theory - Season 6 [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco, Simon Helberg: Film & TV". Amazon.co.uk. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Big-Bang-Theory-Season/dp/B00766F6QY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1356043937&sr=8-3. Retrieved 2012-12-26.
- "The Big Bang Theory DVD news: Blu-ray Release for The Complete 1st Season and The Complete 2nd Season". TVShowsOnDVD. http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Big-Bang-Theory-Seasons-1-and-2/16456. Retrieved August 11, 2012.
- ABC Medianet (2008-05-28). "SEASON PROGRAM RANKINGS (THROUGH 5/25)". Press release. http://www.abcmedianet.com/web/dnr/dispDNR.aspx?id=052808_06. Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- "Overnights 2008-02-14". Channel 4 Sales. 2008-02-15. http://www.channel4sales.com/audience_data/overnights?thedate=2008-02-14. Retrieved 2008-02-17.
- "KARŞIT DÜNYALAR ÇARPIŞINCA...". http://www.cnbce.com/dizi.asp?ID=64. Retrieved 2008-12-13.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: The Big Bang Theory|