The Haunted Castle
The Haunted Castle  is an 1896 three-minute-long French movie written, directed, and produced by Georges Méliès. The movie contains many traditional pantomime elements. It was meant to amuse people, not frighten them. It is considered to be the first horror and vampire movie. The Haunted Castle is now in the public domain. In English, this movie has been known as The Haunted Castle, The Devil's Castle, The Devil's Manor, The Manor of the Devil, and The House of the Devil. It was released on Christmas Eve, 1896, at the Theatre Robert Houdin, 8 boulevard des Italiens, Paris.
Story[change | change source]
A large bat flies into a castle. The bat circles slowly while flapping its monstrous wings. Suddenly, it changes into Mephistopheles (Georges Méliès). After preparing a cauldron, the demon produces skeletons, ghosts, and witches from the bubbling contents of a cauldron. One of those summoned from the underworld holds up a crucifix. Satan vanishes in a blast of smoke.
References[change | change source]
- "Georges Méliès: Encore". Flicker Alley. http://www.flickeralley.com/fat_melies_encore_05.html. Retrieved September 1, 2011.
- Hardy, Phil, ed. (September 1994). The Overlook Film Encyclopedia: Horror. The Overlook Film Encyclopedia Series. 3. Overlook Press. ISBN 978-0879515188.
- "The Haunted Castle online streaming". Internet Archive. http://www.archive.org/details/LaManoirDuDiable1896. Retrieved September 1, 2011.
- Wemaere, Severine; Duval, Gilles (April 2011) (PDF). A Trip to the Moon: Back in color (La Couleur retrouvee du Voyage dans la Lune). Groupama Gan Foundation for Cinema and Technicolor Foundation for Cinema Heritage. p. 192. http://www.technicolorfilmfoundation.org/fileadmin/user_upload/fr/pdf/Melies/LIVRET_MELIES.pdf. Retrieved September 3, 2011.
- "Le Manoir du Diable (1896)". steve-calvert.co.uk. http://www.steve-calvert.co.uk/pub-dom/le-manoir-du-diable.htm. Retrieved January 29, 2012.
Other websites[change | change source]
- The Haunted Castle at the Internet Movie Database
- Free download at http://www.archive.org/details/LeManoirDuDiable-GeorgesMelies1986