UNIQLO is a Tokyo fashion and clothing company. It is a fast growing company, one of the five biggest specialty fashion retailers in the world.The company makes T-shirts, jeans, and casual wear for both women and men. It is owned by Fast Retailing, a Hiroshima based company.
|Founded||Ube, Yamaguchi Prefecture 1949|
|Headquarters||Tokyo HQ: Midtown Tower, Akasaka Kyuchome, Minato, Tokyo, Japan|
|Parent||Fast Retailing Co., Ltd.|
UNIQLO has shops in 11 countries. The main shop is in Japan. There are many shops around the world, USA, China, France, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and the UK.
The company began in Yamaguchi Prefecture, Japan in 1949. It has grown steadily since then. In 1984, Fast Retailing opened the first UNIQLO shop in nearby Hiroshima Prefecture. Since then it opened an online business in 2000. It then became international with shops in London (2001); Shanghai (2002); then, Korea, the USA in the SoHo fashion district of Manhattan in New York, and Hong Kong (2005). Since then it expanded into France (2007), Singapore (2009), and Russia (2010). Recently, on 27th September, they opened "BICQLO", which is a collaboration shop with Bic Camera.(2012)
One of UNIQLO’s main products is HEATTECH. It sold about a hundred million products in the 7 countries.[source?] It keeps people warm, so it is useful in winter. It is thin and comfortable, so people can wear many layers of clothing easily. Also it has some good functions: it keeps in heat, and dries quickly. HEATTECH material has odor control, is anti-static, and stretches. Moreover, there are a variety of HEATTECH products, including: T-shirts, turtlenecks, underwear, leggings, and socks. Furthermore, heattech jeans have gotten attention for keeping people warm.
UNIQLO announced that it is changing the way it hires new workers. Large companies in Japan usually hire new college graduates once a year. UNIQLO is changing to hiring people all through the year. They are also open to hiring people who have not yet graduated, people who graduated several years ago, and people with other jobs.
- "Uniqlo in Oz: what can we expect?". insideretailing.com.au. http://www.insideretailing.com.au/IR/IRNews/Uniqlo-in-Oz-what-can-we-expect-600.aspx. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- Fast Retailing. "company location". http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- Fast Retailing. "company history". http://www.fastretailing.com/eng/about/history/. Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- Fast Retailing. "company product". http://www.uniqlo.com/ht_w/us/. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- Parker, Ashely (December 17). "Power Suits Take On New Meaning". New York: New York Times.