Usher performing at The Warfield in San Francisco, November 2008
|Birth name||Usher Terry Raymond IV|
|Born||October 14, 1978
Dallas, Texas, U.S.
|Origin||Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States|
|Genres||R&B, soul, pop, dance|
|Occupations||Singer-songwriter, actor, dancer|
|Labels||LaFace, Arista, Jive, RCA|
|Associated acts||Jermaine Dupri, Justin Bieber, Jay-Z, R. Kelly, Rico Love, Johntá Austin, Lil Wayne, will.i.am, Ludacris|
Usher Terry Raymond IV (born October 14, 1978), is simply known as Usher, is an American singer-songwriter, dancer, and actor. Usher became well known in the late 1990s with the release of his second album My Way (1997). The album's single "Nice & Slow" reached number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. My Way was given a 6x platinum certification by the RIAA. This means that 6 million copies of My Way were shipped in the United States. His next album, 8701, released two number one singles. These include "U Remind Me" and "U Got It Bad". 8701 was given a 4x platinum certification by the RIAA.
Confessions (2004) sold over 10 million copies in the United States. It was given a diamond award by the RIAA. Confessions has the highest first week sales for an R&B singer in history. The album had four number one Billboard singles. These include "Yeah!", "Burn", "Confessions Part II", and "My Boo". Usher's next album, Here I Stand (2008), sold over 5 million copies worldwide. The lead single, "Love In This Club" reached number one on the Hot 100 chart.
Two years later, Usher released his sixth album Raymond v. Raymond (2010). It became the third album to debut at number one on the Billboard 200 chart. It was then certified platinum by the RIAA. It released "OMG", which reached number one. "OMG" became Usher's ninth number one song in the United States. Because of this, he became the first 2010s artist to have number one singles in three different decades (1990s, 2000s, and 2010s). Versus (2010) was released as an extended play and a deluxe edition of Raymond v. Raymond. It debuted at number four on the Billboard 200 chart. "DJ Got Us Fallin' in Love", a single from the album, reached number four on the Hot 100 chart.
According to RIAA, Usher is one of the best-selling artists in American music history. He has sold over 23 million copies in the United States. As of 2012, Usher has sold over 65 million copies worldwide. This makes him one of the best-selling music artists of all time. Usher has won a lot of awards. These include seven Grammy Awards. According to Billboard in 2009, Usher was named the number one Hot 100 artist of the 2000s. While they ranked him second for the most successful artist of the 2000s. His 2004 album Confessions was ranked at the top solo album of the 2000s. Billboard also placed Usher at number six on their list of Top 50 R&B/Hip-Hop Artist of the Past 25 Years. Usher has nine Hot 100 number one songs (as lead artist). He also has eighteen Hot 100 top-ten songs.
Discography[change | edit source]
- Usher (1994)
- My Way (1997)
- 8701 (2001)
- Confessions (2004)
- Here I Stand (2008)
- Raymond v. Raymond (2010)
- Looking 4 Myself (2012)
References[change | edit source]
- "Usher Raymond - Biography". IMDB. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0713378/bio. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- "Recording Industry Association of America". RIAA. http://riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?resultpage=1&table=SEARCH_RESULTS&action=&title=&artist=Usher&format=&debutLP=&category=&sex=&releaseDate=&requestNo=&type=&level=&label=&company=&certificationDate=&awardDescription=&catalogNo=&aSex=&rec_id=&charField=&gold=&platinum=&multiPlat=&level2=&certDate=&album=&id=&after=&before=&startMonth=1&endMonth=1&startYear=1958&endYear=2008&sort=Artist&perPage=25. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
- By Joe D'Angelo, with additional reporting by Shaheem Reid (March 31, 2004). "Usher Makes Record-Breaking Debut Atop Albums Chart – Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1486082/20040331/usher.jhtml. Retrieved September 19, 2010.
- "Usher | Q102". Wkrq.com. http://www.wkrq.com/2010/08/04/usher-. Retrieved September 19, 2010.
- "Usher Lands At No.1 On Billboard 200 With Raymond Vs. Raymond Album | Sound Off | BET.com". Blogs.bet.com. September 15, 2010. http://blogs.bet.com/music/soundOff/usher-lands-at-1-on-billboard-200-with-raymond-vs-raymond-album/. Retrieved September 19, 2010.
- Usher: Discography
- "Top Selling Artists". Recording Industry Association of America. http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?resultpage=2&table=tblTopArt&action=. Retrieved November 15, 2009.
- Halperin, Shirley (February 9, 2011). "Justin Bieber Cover: The Team and Strategy Behind Making Him a Star". The Hollywood Reporter. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/justin-bieber-cover-team-strategy-97658. Retrieved February 21, 2011.
- March 19, 2011 11:22PM (2011-03-19). "Usher still too hot to handle". Herald Sun. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/music/usher-still-too-hot-to-handle/story-e6frf9hf-1226024719965. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
- "Grammy Award Winners". The Recording Academy. http://www.grammy.com/GRAMMY_Awards/Winners/Results.aspx?title=&winner=Usher&year=0&genreID=0&hp=1. Retrieved November 17, 2008.
- "Hot 100 Artists-Decade End". http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/charts/decadeendcharts/chart_display.jsp?&f=Hot+100+Artists&g=Decade-end+Artists.
- "Top 50 R&B/Hip-Hop Artists of the Past 25 Years". Nielsen Business Media, Inc.. November 18, 2010. http://www.billboard.com/#/column/the-juice/the-top-50-r-b-hip-hop-artists-of-the-past-1004127916.story?page=5. Retrieved January 6, 2012.
- "Adele Reclaims Hot 100 Throne, B.o.B Blasts Into Top 10". october 5, 2011. http://www.billboard.com/news/adele-reclaims-hot-100-throne-b-o-b-blasts-1005390382.story#/news/adele-reclaims-hot-100-throne-b-o-b-blasts-1005390382.story.
Other websites[change | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Usher Raymond|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Usher|