Victor Emmanuel I of Sardinia
|Victor Emmanuel I|
|Reign||4 June 1802–12 March 1821|
|Predecessor||Charles Emmanuel IV|
|Spouse||Maria Teresa of Austria-Este|
|Maria Beatrice, Duchess of Modena
Maria Teresa, Duchess of Parma
Maria Anna, Empress of Austria
Maria Christina, Queen of the Two Sicilies
|Father||Victor Amadeus III of Sardinia|
|Mother||Maria Antonia of Spain|
|Born||24 July 1759|
|Died||10 January 1824(aged 64)|
Victor Emmanuel I (Vittorio Emanuele; 24 July 1759–10 January 1824) was King of Sardinia from 1802 to 1821.
Biography[change | edit source]
Born at the Royal Palace of Turin, he was the second son of King Victor Amadeus III of Sardinia and Maria Antonia of Spain. From birth he was known as the Duke of Aosta. His older brother Charles Emmanuel IV abdicated in 1802 and Victor Emmanuel succeeded him. He ruled Sardinia from Cagliari for the next twelve years as the mainland Kingdom of Sardinia had been captured by the French.
Victor Emmanuel returned to Turin only in 1814, his realm reconstituted by the Congress of Vienna with the addition of the territories of the former Republic of Genoa. After the outbreak of the liberal revolution in his lands in 1821, he abdicated in favor of his brother, Charles Felix. Victor Emmanuel died in the Castle of Moncalieri. He is buried in the Basilica of Superga.
Family and children[change | edit source]
- Maria Beatrice of Savoy (1792–1840) married Francis IV, Duke of Modena and had issue.
- Maria Adelaide Clothilde Xaveria Borbonia of Savoy (1794-1802) died in infancy.
- Charles Emmanuel of Savoy (1796-1799) died of smallpox.
- A daughter (1800-1801) died in infancy.
- Maria Teresa of Savoy (1803-1879) married Charles II, Duke of Parma and had issue.
- Maria Anna of Savoy (1803–1884) married Ferdinand I of Austria.
- Maria Christina of Savoy (1812–1836) married Ferdinand II of the Two Sicilies and had issue.
Titles, styles, honours and arms[change | edit source]
Titles and styles[change | edit source]
- 24 July 1759–4 June 1802 His Royal Highness The Duke of Aosta
- 4 June 1802–12 March 1821 His Majesty The King of Sardinia
- 12 March 1821–10 January 1824 His Majesty King Victor Emmanuel