A Viral culture is a laboratory test in which the virus samples are placed with a cell medium that the virus being tested for is able to infect. If the cells show changes, known as cytopathic effects, then a culture is positive, meaning the test indicates infection.
The older way of viral culture has been replaced by shell vial culture, in which the sample is spun onto a single layer of cells and viral growth is measured by antigen detection ways. This shortens the time to detection for slow growing viruses such as cytomegalovirus, for which the method was developed.
Other pages[change | edit source]
References[change | edit source]
- Curtis, Jeanette; Caroline Rea (25 May 2007). "Viral culture". WebMD. http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/stv5474.asp. Retrieved 2009-09-09.
- Storch, Gregory A.; Bernard N. Fields, David Mahan Knipe, Peter M. Howley (2007). "Diagnostic virology". In David Mahan Knipe, Peter M. Howley. Fields' Virology. 1 (5th ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. pp. 3177. ISBN 0781760607. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=5O0somr0w18C&pg=RA1-PA570.
- Leland, Diane S.; Ginocchio, Christine C. (2007). "Role of cell culture for virus detection in the age of technology". Clinical Microbiology Reviews (American Society for Microbiology) 20 (1): 49-78. ISSN 1098-6618. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=17223623.
Other websites[change | edit source]
- "Viral Culture, General". LabCorp. https://www.labcorp.com/wps/portal/!ut/p/c1/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os_hACzO_QCM_IwMLXyM3AyNjMycDU2dXQwN3M6B8JG55AwMCusNB9uHXD5I3wAEcDfT9PPJzU_Uj9aPM40NdTYINPS2NDfxd3Q0MjMw9fTwtLfwNDYwN9UP0C3IjDLJMIhUB94XRqA!!/dl2/d1/L0lDU0lKSmdvS1VRIS9JSFNBQ0lpTXlDb3FiRURBSUEhIS9ZQTQ1NDUwLTVGMHN0eWp3LzdfVUU0UzFJOTMwT0VHMDAyN0lMSTk4TzEwMzEvcGxfX181MC9zcGZfQWN0aW9uTmFtZS9zcGZfQWN0aW9uTGlzdGVuZXI!/?testId=407761&spf_strutsAction=!2fshowDetail.do. Retrieved 2009-09-09.
- "Growing viruses from clinical samples.". London Laboratory Services Group. http://www.lhsc.on.ca/lab/MICRO/virology/vir_cult.htm. Retrieved 2009-09-09.