Whitney Houston in 1991
|Birth name||Whitney Elizabeth Houston|
|Born||August 9, 1963
Newark, New Jersey, U.S.
|Died||February 11, 2012 (aged 48) Beverly Hills, California, U.S. |
|Genres||R&B, Pop, Soul, Gospel, Dance|
|Labels||Arista, RCA (following the disbandment of Arista)|
|Website||Official website of Whitney Houston|
Early years[change | edit source]
Marriage[change | edit source]
Houston married Bobby Brown in 1992. In 1993, they had a daughter, Bobbi Kristina Houston Brown. In a 2009 interview, Houston indicated the marriage was both passionate and turbulent. Their marital relationship was marred by drug use and by Brown's professional jealousy, psychological abuse, and physical confrontations. The couple divorced in 2007.
Death[change | edit source]
On February 11, 2012, Houston was found dead in her guest room at The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, California. The official coroner's report stated that she had accidentally drowned in the bathtub. Atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use were listed as contributing factors. Her funeral was televised.
References[change | edit source]
- "Whitney Houston, pop titan, dies at 48". LA Times. February 12, 2012. http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-whitney-houston-20120211,0,1429262.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fmostviewed+(L.A.+Times+-+Most+Viewed+Stories). Retrieved February 12, 2012.
- "CBC News". CBC. http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/02/11/whitney-houston-dies.html. Retrieved February 12, 2012.
- Jessie Carney Smith. Notable Black American women. VNR AG; 1996. ISBN 978-0-8103-9177-2. p. 304–305.
- NY Times: "Whitney Houston, Pop Superstar, Dies at 48"
- NY Times: "Whitney Houston drowned coroner says"