This is a message board for talking about tasks on Wikipedia that only administrators can do. Please put new messages at the bottom of the talk page or to start a new discussion.
Please note that the messages on this page are archived periodically. A message may therefore have been archived. Note however, that the archives must not be modified, so if something needs discussing, please start a new discussion on this page.
Are you in the right place?
- Use Vandalism in progress to report serious and urgent vandalism.
- Use Requests for rollback to ask for rollback tool.
Discussion of Tex (THX)[change | change source]
A few days ago, I created a redirect to the THX article from the above page.
After that, I didn't want the redirect anymore, so I changed it into an article. Later, it got reverted by Auntof6 because it was a COPYVIO of www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Tex-%28THX%29, but it wasn't; it was from the main English Wikipedia. I undid the revert, and got reverted again. When that was over, Auntof6 semi-protected the page until 2 December 2014. And also, he reverted back to the redirect to the article.
The original page is located at http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tex_(THX)&oldid=309233499. The reason for the redirect is unrefrenced article about a minor advertising character. 2602:306:CC2E:EFB0:B1A4:B5B4:E6C2:2FC4 (talk) 03:46, 30 November 2014 (UTC)
Vandalism[change | change source]
- This user has already been blocked. In future, it would be better to use this page. Thanks :) George Edward C – Talk – Contributions 16:09, 1 December 2014 (UTC)
Sandbox[change | change source]
Rather than try to find all the sandbox changes that included profanity, attack language, etc. so that the edits could be hidden, I thought I'd just delete the page and start fresh. However, when I tried to delete it, I got a message saying that it could not be deleted because of the number of edits the page has had. Does anyone know if there's a way around that? --Auntof6 (talk) 19:15, 1 December 2014 (UTC)
- Yes. Admins don't have the bigdelete permission (Special:ListGroupRights). I believe only stewards have this permission, and it is needed for a page with a history of that size. George Edward C – Talk – Contributions 19:50, 1 December 2014 (UTC)
- I don't think it's worth the effort to be honest considering there are so many edits on the sandbox that could be hidden for profanity / attacks. Pmlineditor (t · c · l) 19:52, 1 December 2014 (UTC)
- To be honest you shouldn't be hiding edits that are just profanity. Unless its aimed at a particular person, just revert and warn. -DJSasso (talk) 23:26, 1 December 2014 (UTC)
- Also, stewards would probably decline such a generic request. Those deletions need always to be watched by system admins as something could go wrong. Without a good reason, at least I'd decline the deletion. It's better to use RevDel when it's needed. -Barras talk 14:28, 2 December 2014 (UTC)
Possible sock-puppetry by IPs on Talk: 2007 and Talk:2008[change | change source]
Feel free to move this if this post is in the wrong place. There are several IPs that are making identical edits to these talk pages thinking that they are the articles. It is probably the same person in my opinion. Perhaps semi-protection and or blocks would be in order to stop it. Arfæst Ealdwrítere – talk! 14:13, 17 December 2014 (UTC)