This is a message board for talking about tasks on Wikipedia that only administrators can do. Please put new messages at the bottom of the talk page or to start a new discussion.
Please note that the messages on this page are archived periodically. A message may therefore have been archived. Note however, that the archives must not be modified, so if something needs discussing, please start a new discussion on this page.
Are you in the right place?
- Use Vandalism in progress to report serious and urgent vandalism.
- Use Requests for rollback to ask for rollback tool.
Protection request[change | change source]
Stylefume[change | change source]
Hi there, User Stylefume is a sock operator at the English Wikipedia with an incessant history of disruptive editing. Without burdening the noticeboard with too much detail, the obvious indicator is that the user has injected "Jetania", a fictional nation of his own creation, into articles, and it appears also in his sandbox: . Here is the SPI archive at the English Wikipedia, and here is another operator who is generally assumed to be the same person or a confederate. At the English Wikipedia, any account that adds "Jetania" to articles is typically indeffed as soon as it is discovered. When the user isn't vandalizing articles, they tend to use Wikipedia as a free hosting platform for make-believe edits, for example here where we learn in his sandbox that his make-believe movie theater has reasonably priced popcorn. Not an encyclopedic contribution. Recommending indef. User has zero consistent history of contributing constructively to the project, and no edits from this user can be assumed as being made in good faith. User is believed to be based in Aberdeen Scotland, and occasionally uses IPs from there, or general Sky IPs that geolocate to central England. Regards, Cyphoidbomb (talk) 05:53, 6 November 2014 (UTC)
- Blocked per WP:ONESTRIKE. Clearly continuing what he was doing at en.wiki. Also a sock of Uno 2014 who was earlier blocked for socking. -DJSasso (talk) 13:51, 6 November 2014 (UTC)
Request[change | change source]
- Sorry, but we cannot protect the page. Whether the page will be deleted or not is up to the community and will be decided in the RfD. Pmlineditor (t · c · l) 18:28, 9 November 2014 (UTC)
Suicide threat?[change | change source]
POET GUY today left me a message on my talk page saying "between you and me im MRivera25. I go kill my self now". While I doubt he is genuinely I believe that on En.WP if things like this happen, the authorities are contacted. Is that necessary in this incident? Thanks, --Mr Wiki Pro (talk) 21:49, 14 November 2014 (UTC)
- We should always take a person's mental health seriously, but to contact someone to arrange help would require detailed names and addresses. So in this case I am not sure what we could do.--Peterdownunder (talk) 22:03, 14 November 2014 (UTC)
- I know there is some sort of emergency protocol for suicide threats at en.wp. I HAVE SEEN THEM POSTED ON ANI OVER AT EN.WP WITH AN ISSUE OF SUCH AN EMERGENT NATURE MAYBE ONE OF YOU COULD CROSSPOST THE EMERGENCY REPORT ON THE ANI AT EN.WP IF THERE IS NO DEFINED PROCEDURE HERE AT SIMPLE. I JUST HOPE SOMEONE WILL TRY their best to try to get some help for the person and possibly save a fife. God Bless! Sorry for the caps I hit the wrong key with such low light. Anyways, I hope my suggestion may help. ciao!!! Carriearchdale 22:59, 14 November 2014 (UTC)
- I received a reply that says just "Thanks Auntof6, we are looking at it." I don't know what Wikimedia's policy is as far as giving details about this kind of thing, so its possible we won't get any satisfying or reassuring feedback, but I will continue to report back here if I get further replies. --Auntof6 (talk) 23:20, 14 November 2014 (UTC)
- Another reply received:
- "I just wanted to first thank you for the report, and second, comment on your request for further information. The Emergency Team cannot pass on details about emergencies reported to us, except to the relevant law authorities. This is both to protect the privacy of individuals involved, and also reflects that we ourselves often do not know what happens after passing information on to the appropriate people."
- This tells me we have done all we can, and that we should not expect to hear anything further. --Auntof6 (talk) 23:38, 14 November 2014 (UTC)
- Another reply received:
Request for page protection[change | change source]
I want to request the semi-protection of Harlequin duck, as it has been subject to a ridiculous amount of IP vandalism (presumably the same person, comparing the IPs), and I feel the only solution is to protect this page. George Edward C – Talk – Contributions 16:32, 16 November 2014 (UTC)
- I protected the article, so that only auto-confirmed editors can change it. This protection expires a week from now, on Nov. 23. We can discuss further measures once the protection runs out, and we start having a problem again. --Eptalon (talk) 16:07, 17 November 2014 (UTC)
Vandalism[change | change source]
- Thanks for your report. This IP editor seems to have stopped editing for now and there are no edits since the last warning, so I don't think we should take any action at this point. Also be aware that with IP editors we don't assume that all edits were done by the same person unless they're fairly close in time. Because of that, we probably wouldn't consider the edits from last month in deciding what action to take.
- By the way, we have a page for reporting vandalism. It's at WP:VIP. Unless the vandalism is very offensive, which I don't see with this editor, we usually require that the vandal be sufficiently warned before we take any action. This editor has only gotten a couple of warnings, levels 2 and 3, and the ones that were given probably started at too high a level. --Auntof6 (talk) 18:08, 17 November 2014 (UTC)