This is a message board for talking about tasks on Wikipedia that only administrators can do. Please put new messages at the bottom of the talk page or to start a new discussion.
Please note that the messages on this page are archived periodically. A message may therefore have been archived. Note however, that the archives must not be modified, so if something needs discussing, please start a new discussion on this page.
Are you in the right place?
- Use Vandalism in progress to report serious and urgent vandalism.
- Use Requests for rollback to ask for rollback tool.
Student pages run riot[change | change source]
I thought we made it clear that school users should not put up test pages on the main wiki, but work on sub-pages set up by their teacher? Well, evidently they did not get the message. We have had another 20 or so pages which have been deleted as either test pages or recreations of previously deleted pages. I think the problem is that students have been given accounts but their teacher has not understood the necessity of creating subpages for their exercises. Anyway, those admins who keep in touch with school projects might consider this. Macdonald-ross (talk) 13:08, 5 May 2015 (UTC)
- There is no requirement that students use subpages if they are developing proper articles with proper titles, and the articles belong here and will improve Wikipedia. There is a banner to explain that the article is being worked on as part of a class project. I see, though, that the ones that were deleted did not fit that. The next time we see these, maybe we could move them to a user subpage instead of deleting them, and leave a message explaining why that was done. Is there a class leader for these articles?
- Also please note that WP:QD#G2 is for things that have been previously deleted at RfD, not things that have been QD'd before. --Auntof6 (talk) 15:43, 5 May 2015 (UTC)
- They seem to be primary school children, all writing a few lines about plants, so similar that they probably all come from one class. I don't know if the teacher contacted us: several have recently. I suppose we could write on their talk page(s) to ask the teacher to contact us. The children could each have a subpage under their teacher's account. There's nothing objectionable in their writing, but none are suitable as redirects to our plant page. Macdonald-ross (talk) 16:00, 5 May 2015 (UTC)
Different topic[change | change source]
This is zhyboo, I wasn't very pleased when I saw that McDonald-ross deleted the human article, because it erased the page history. I feel disappointed, because I don't think you can find the page history of the article once you have deleted it. If you have any information on how to find the page history, let me know, because I'm really anxious, and you should report McDonald-ross, instead of him fixing articles, that are did wrong, he deletes them, and it's not appropriate for the site, let me know if you can discover the page history for "human", that was deleted, because I'm very upset, message me back please, and McDonald-ross should owe me an apology for deleting it, because I felt so bad, I couldn't sleep, please let me know if you can discover the deleted history, I'm so sad. I'm 19 years old, I love Wikipedia, and I love the history, could any of you please be nice to me, aunto f6 and McDonald-ross haven't be making me feel welcome, I hope that the both of you start making me feel welcome, and tell me if there's a way to find history that was deleted with an article, later on today, let me know if you can see what you can do :-c. Zhyboo (talk) 14:44, 5 May 2015 (UTC).
- Administrators can access the page history. What exactly do you need from it? When Mac restored it, he could have restored all the history; I'm not sure why he didn't. In any case, we could email you a copy of what was there at a particular point in time, if that would help. Just don't ask for copies of all the different versions.
- As far as not making you feel welcome, if you mean the warning messages that have been left for you, those messages are canned text designed to cover various situations. Don't take them personally. --Auntof6 (talk) 02:05, 6 May 2015 (UTC)
Thanks guys, I just like the history, I've always been a fan of Wikipedia, I just started being a user a month ago, I just always loved reading the history, that's all. By the way, could any of you add REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP and AMC theatres to the simple English Wikipedia, I added them, but I wrote them in complex form and they were removed. I just use Wikipedia for enjoyment and I love reading information and the history for enjoyment and fun, that's all and it's good to keep the history. I'm not that old, I'm really only 19 and I'm very intelligent, so I joined Wikipedia, because I thought it was fun. I really would love to remain a user. Zhyboo (talk) 20:00, 6 May 2015 (UTC)
- You can request articles at WP:Requested articles. Just be sure to follow the format used on that page. You could also try writing them yourself in a sandbox, where you could get help making them simple.
- When you say you'd like to remain a user, it sounds like there's something that might stop you. If that's true, what would stop you? --Auntof6 (talk) 16:55, 7 May 2015 (UTC)
no, there's nothing that would stop me from being a member, I just thought that McDonald-ross said something about teens adding vandalisms on Wikipedia, and I'm nine-teen, so I didn't want anyone to think I would like adding vandalisms, that's all. Zhyboo (talk) 18:04, 7 May 2015 (UTC)
Unsuitable usernames[change | change source]
- Two questions: For what are stewards needed? Admins can indef users whose names violate the policy on user names. What do you consider unsuitable? --Auntof6 (talk) 11:19, 8 May 2015 (UTC)
Help on Sidebar[change | change source]
The Help link on the sidebar links to mw:Help:Contents. Wouldn't it be better if it linked to Help:Contents? Sending someone to Mediawiki when they want help on Simple seems a bit, well, unhelpful. QuiteUnusual 16:36, 13 May 2015 (UTC)
- I've updated the link to point to the local page. Thanks for reporting! --Glaisher (talk) 16:38, 13 May 2015 (UTC)
- Thanks - QuiteUnusual 08:38, 14 May 2015 (UTC)