||This article needs to be updated.|
|Part of the Microsoft Windows family|
|Initial release||26 October 2012info][|
|Stable release||6.2 (Build 9200) (1 August 2012info]) [|
|License||Proprietary commercial software|
|Update method||Windows Update|
|Platform support||IA-32, x64, and ARM|
|Preceded by||Windows 7|
|Succeeded by||Windows 9|
Windows 8 is the latest Microsoft Windows computer operating system. Since September 2011, Microsoft have released the Developer Preview version. It was released for developers. The final version for everyone was released everywhere on October 26, 2012. The president of the Windows Division Steven Sinofsky said: "With this system we shall make the biggest change from Windows 95", which there is, as they have removed the Start button/menu (they were first put in Windows 95).
On February 29 2012, Microsoft released a Beta version of Windows 8 known as the Consumer Preview. After the Consumer Preview, a final preview named "Release Preview" was released on May 31st, 2012.
According to Microsoft, Windows 8 will have several new features, like a Windows Store where users can buy metro style computer programs, or Windows To Go, a feature that allows users to run the complete Windows system from a USB drive.
Windows 8 provides a new graphic interface – Modren (a.k.a. Metro) UI (same for tablets, notebook and classic PCs). This interface is characterized in his “tiles” which work as links and also as Interactive widgets (new in RSS, weather, e-mails). Modern UI is optimized for touchscreen, but can be controlled by mouse and keyboard. Of course, Windows 8 still offers classic desktop interface.
Another interesting news is system of started PC. Microsoft rework starting PC from basis – replaced classic BIOS a new system UEFI. Advantage of this system is secure boot, which is protection against viruses.
Operating system will have Central administrations of copy and move files, which older systems did not have. Transferring more files will be more comfortable. The system will stop copying and then gradually build without having to carry everything again.
In Windows 8 will enable logging in through Face Detection and voice control or especially hand gestures, which senses camera system Kinect.
In the leaked test versions of Windows 8 were discovered the foundations of future cloud applications, is the possibility to use different services and programs from the Internet. For example, it allows for saving user settings on the Internet. This can then be used on another computer with Windows 8 and synchronize it. For example, if you lose your laptop you do not lose programs or information, including system settings.
Hardware requirements [change]
|Processor||1 GHz clock rate
IA-32 or x64 architecture
Support for PAE, NX and SSE2
Second Level Address Translation (SLAT) support
|Memory (RAM)||IA-32 edition: 1 GB
x64 edition: 2 GB
|Graphics Card||DirectX 9 graphics device
WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
|DirectX 10 graphics device|
|Display screen||1024×768 pixels||1366×768 pixels|
|Input device||Keyboard and mouse||A multi-touch display screen|
|Hard disk space||IA-32 edition: 16 GB
x64 edition: 20 GB
|Other||USB 3.0 port
UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B with Microsoft Windows Certification Authority in its database
Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
Tablets and convertibles [change]
|Graphics Card||DirectX 10 graphics device with WDDM 1.2 or higher driver|
|Storage||10 GB free space, after the out-of-box experience completes|
|Standard buttons||'Power', 'Rotation lock', 'Windows Key', 'Volume-up', 'Volume-down'|
|Screen||Touch screen supporting a minimum of 5-point digitizers and resolution of at least 1366x768. The physical dimensions of the display panel must match the aspect ratio of the native resolution. The native resolution of the panel can be greater than 1366 (horizontally) and 768 (vertically). Minimum native color depth is 32-bits.|
|Ambient light sensor||1–30k lux capable with dynamic range of 5–60k|
|Accelerometer||3 axes with data rates at or above 50 Hz|
|USB 2.0||At least one controller and exposed port.|
|Connect||Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 + LE (low energy)|
|Other||Speaker, microphone, magnetometer and gyroscope.
If a mobile broadband device is integrated into a tablet or convertible system, then an assisted GPS radio is required. Devices supporting near field communication need to have visual marks to help users locate and use the proximity technology. The new button combination for Ctrl + Alt + Del is Windows Key + Power.
- "Microsoft Announces Support of System on a Chip Architectures From Intel, AMD, and ARM for Next Version of Windows". Microsoft. January 5, 2011. http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2011/jan11/01-05SOCsupport.mspx. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- Microsoft lavora a Windows 9 e Surface 2
- Windows 9: all but the official code name for the next version of Windows
- "Microsoft Product Lifecycle". Microsoft Support. Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+8&Filter=FilterNO. Retrieved October 10, 2012.
- "Windows 8 system requirements". Windows Help. Microsoft. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/system-requirements. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- "PAE/NX/SSE2 Support Requirement Guide for Windows 8". http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh975398.aspx. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- "What is PAE, NX, and SSE2 and why does my PC need to support them to run Windows 8?". Windows Help. Microsoft. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- "Windows 8 Hardware Certification Requirements". MSDN. Microsoft. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh748200.aspx. Retrieved April 22, 2012.