|WrestleMania XXVII Stage|
|Theme song (s)||"Written in the Stars" by Tinie Tempah|
|Promotion||World Wrestling Entertainment|
|Date||April 3, 2011|
|Elimination Chamber (2011)||WrestleMania XXVII||Extreme Rules (2011)|
|WrestleMania XXVI||WrestleMania XXVII||WrestleMania XXVIII|
WrestleMania XXVII was the twenty-seventh yearly WrestleMania professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event made by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). It took place at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Georgia.
Production[change | edit source]
|Michael Cole (Matches 1-4)|
|Jerry Lawler (Matches 1-4,6-8)|
|Josh Mathews (Matches 1-5)|
|Booker T (Match 5)|
|Jim Ross (Matches 5-8)|
|Carlos Cabrera (Spanish, entire event)|
|Hugo Savinovich (Spanish, entire event)|
|Justin Roberts (Raw)|
|Tony Chimel (SmackDown)|
In September 2009, it was reported that the city of Atlanta was wanting to have WrestleMania XXVII at the Georgia Dome. A press conference was held on February 1, 2010 at the Georgia Dome to officially announced the event for Atlanta; this will be the first WrestleMania to be held in the state of Georgia. Along with WrestleMania XXVII, a group of events known as "WrestleMania Week" will be held in the week before the event including WrestleMania's yearly WrestleMania Axxess fan convention, the 2011 WWE Hall of Fame ceremony, the fourth yearly WrestleMania Art showing and auction, and a Celebrity Pro-Am Golf tournament. According to the president of the Atlanta Sports Council, Gary Stokan, WrestleMania Axxess is planned to be held at the Georgia World Congress Center, while the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony will take place either at the Fox Theatre or at Philips Arena.
Between 15 and 20 cities were thought of to host the event, with fewer than half of the people thought of invited to explain why they should hold the event at WWE's headquarters at Stamford, Connecticut. Atlanta's main rival to hosting the event was the city of Miami, Florida who wanted to host the event at Sun Life Stadium along with WrestleMania Axxess at the Convention Center and the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony at the American Airlines Arena. Miami was later given WrestleMania XXVIII.
Attendance record controversy[change | edit source]
During the pay-per-view, Justin Roberts announced a new Georgia Dome entertainment attendance record of 71,617. But a Billboard.com article claims a Backstreet Boys concert had 73,337 people in attendance. WWE says in their official press release that the Backstreet Boys concert only had 65,658 people in attendance.. WWE's number was later confirmed by officials at the Georgia Dome.
Matches[change | edit source]
|Dark||Sheamus (c) vs. Daniel Bryan ended in a no-contest||Luberjack match for the WWE United States Championship ||
|Dark||The Great Khali won||Battle Royal||
|1||Edge (c) beat Alberto Del Rio to retain||Regular match for the World Heavyweight Championship||11:10|
|2||Cody Rhodes beat Rey Mysterio||Regular match||11:55|
|3||Big Show, Kane, Kofi Kingston & Santino Marella beat The Corre (Wade Barrett, Ezekiel Jackson, Justin Gabriel & Heath Slater)||8-man tag team match Vladimir Kozlov was originally apart of Big Show, Kane and Santino's team until The Corre injured him during the weekend.||1:30|
|4||Randy Orton beat CM Punk||Regular match||14:45|
|5||Michael Cole (with Jack Swagger) beat Jerry Lawler via Disqualification.||Regular match with special guest referee Stone Cold Steve Austin||13:40|
|6||The Undertaker beat Triple H||No Holds Barred match||29:25|
|7||Trish Stratus, Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi John Morrison beat Dolph Ziggler and LayCool (Layla and Michelle McCool)||6-person mixed tag team match||3:15|
|8||The Miz (c) beat John Cena to retain||Regular match for the WWE Championship||19:40|
References[change | edit source]
- "Wrestlemania: "Written in the Stars" by Tinie Tempah is one of the official theme songs for WrestleMania XXVII". World Wrestling Entertainment. http://vids.wwe.com/index.php/video/WrestleMania-Written-in-the-Stars-by-Tinie-Tempah-is-one-of-the-official-theme-songs-for-WrestleMania-XXVII/774885288001/. Retrieved 2011-02-12.
- "4/3 Powell's WrestleMania 27 results and review: The Rock hosts, The Miz vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship, Triple H attempts to break Undertaker's Streak, Edge vs. Alberto Del Rio for the World Hvt. Championship". ProWrestling.net. http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/WWEPPVreports/article10017777.shtml. Retrieved 2011-04-03.
- "Atlanta to host WrestleMania XXVII". World Wrestling Entertainment. 2010-02-01. http://corporate.wwe.com/news/2010/2010_02_01.jsp. Retrieved 2010-02-01.
- Schoolcraft, Lisa R. (2009-09-25). "Atlanta is bidding for WrestleMania". Atlanta Business Chronicle. http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2009/09/28/story6.html. Retrieved 2010-02-01.
- Varsallone, Jim (2009-09-19). "Miami makes strong bid for WWE's WrestleMania". The Miami Herald. http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/wrestling/story/1241228.html. Retrieved 2010-02-01.
- Tim Dix and Rich Tate. The Sports Buffet Blogtalkradio Podcast accessed on 2010-02-01.
- "U2's Rose Bowl Show Breaks Attendance Record". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/#/news/u2-s-rose-bowl-show-breaks-attendance-record-1004032260.story. Retrieved 2011-04-04.
- "WrestleMania XXVII Breaks Records". World Wrestling Entertainment. http://corporate.wwe.com/news/2011/2011_04_03.html. Retrieved 2011-04-04.
- "WWE News: WrestleMania 27 did indeed set the Georgia Dome "entertainment" attendance record". ProWrestling.net. http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/WWE/article10017806.shtml. Retrieved 2011-04-04.
[change | edit source]