Ryu Gwansun in the Japanese prison.
|Revised Romanization||Ryu Gwansun|
Childhood[change | change source]
Ryu Gwansun was born on March 15, 1902, in a small farming village. Her brother said that she taught herself how to read Hangul. She was a playful, lively child who enjoyed running "like a boy" and was able to memorize Bible verses quickly. Her nephew, who grew up in the same village as her, said that she had very large, bright black eyes. Her brother described her as tall, with a plump, fair face.
Demonstrations[change | change source]
Ryu Gwansun joined in the March 1st Movement with some friends from her school, though her teacher strongly told them not to. She was taken to prison for a short time, and her school was closed. With the help of her family and friends, Ryu planned a peaceful demonstration in her province for 1 April. The day before the demonstration, Ryu lit a bonfire on a mountain as a signal to begin the demonstration. The next day, over 2000 people came together in a marketplace for the demonstration. The Japanese police shot at the people, and about 19 people died, including Ryu's parents. Ryu Gwansun was taken to prison. She died in prison when she was 16.
References[change | change source]
- Bright Figures in Korean History (한국역사를 빚낸사람들), Kim Han-ryong Compiler (김한룡 엮음) 대일출판사
- "유관순 - Daum 국어사전". daum.net. 2011 [last update]. http://krdic.daum.net/dickr/contents.do?offset=A029668100&query1=A029668100#A029668100. Retrieved 8 February 2011.
- "유관순 열사의 어린시절과 학창시절". yugwansun.com. 2011 [last update]. http://www.yugwansun.com/yugwansoon_01/sub_03.asp. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "Yu Kwan Sun Summary | BookRags.com". bookrags.com. 2011 [last update]. http://www.bookrags.com/research/yu-kwan-sun-ema-06/. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "유관순 열사의 3-1 만세 운동". yugwansun.com. 2011 [last update]. http://www.yugwansun.com/yugwansoon_01/sub_04.asp. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "아우내 만세 운동과 유관순". yugwansun.com. 2011 [last update]. http://www.yugwansun.com/yugwansoon_01/sub_05.asp. Retrieved 7 February 2011.