Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Centuries:||17th century – 18th century – 19th century|
|Decades:||1760s 1770s 1780s – 1790s – 1800s 1810s 1820s|
|Years:||1795 1796 1797 – 1798 – 1799 1800 1801|
Events[change | change source]
- January 22 – Coup d'état in the Netherlands (Batavian Republic). Unitarian Democrat Pieter Vreede makes an end to the power of the parliament (with a conservative-moderate majority).
- 7 March – French forces invade the Papal States and establish the Roman Republic
- April 7 – The Mississippi Territory is organized from territory from Georgia and South Carolina and is later twice made larger to include disputed land claimed by both the U.S. and Spain
- April 26 – France leaves Geneva
- May 24 – Irish nationalists start bloody rebellion against British occupation.
- June 12 – French take Malta
- June 12 – Coup d'état in the Netherlands (Batavian Republic). Moderates depose Pieter Vreede.
- July 1 – Napoleon's troops land in Egypt
- July 14 – The Alien and Sedition Acts become United States law making it a federal crime to write, publish, or utter false statements about the United States government
- July 21 – Napoleon defeats Mameluke forces near the Pyramids
- July 24 – Napoleon occupies Cairo
- July 30 – Selim III defeats Napoleon in Egypt
- July 31 – Second elections in the Netherlands (Batavian Republic). No general elections this time.
- August 1 – Horatio Nelson defeats the French navy under Admiral Brueys at the Battle of the Nile. Nelson himself is injured on the head.
- August 22 – French troops land at Killala in County Mayo to assist Irish rebellion.
- September 18 – Lyrical Ballads published anonymously by Samuel Taylor Coleridge and William Wordsworth
- Franz Xaver, Baron Von Zach, Scientific Editor, Astronomer, begins editing journals about navigation and the geographic positions of cities.
- XYZ Affair in the U.S., followed by naval battles, but no war is declared.
- First mechanical music boxes
- Alessandro Volta and La Place discover electricity
- The Afghans Army occupied Lahore in Punjab
- Aarau is the temporary capital of the Helvetic Republic
- Alois Senefelder invents lithography
- Eli Whitney contracts with the US Federal Government for 10,000 rifles, which he produces with interchangeable parts
- Charles Brockden Brown publishes the first American Novel Wieland or The Transformation an American Tale
Ongoing events[change | change source]
- French Revolution (1789-1799) Revolutionary Wars (1792-1802)-Second Coalition/Egyptian Campaign
- May-October – Irish Rebellion of 1798
- for more information, see Category:1798 births.
- for more information, see Category:1798 deaths.