1949 South American Championship Final
|Event||1949 South American Championship|
|Date||May 11, 1949|
|Venue||Estádio São Januário, Rio de Janeiro|
|Referee||Cyril J. Barrick (England)|
The 1949 South American Championship Final was the final match to determine the winner of the 1949 South American Championship, the 21st. edition of this continental competition. It was held on May 11, 1949, in Estádio São Januário of Rio de Janeiro. Brazil hosted the tournament after 27 years.
Brazil had won all its previous matches, thrashing their rivals in all of them (totalising 36 goals in 5 games). Nevertheless, the 2–1 loss to Paraguay caused both teams tied on points so a final match had to be played to crown a champion.
On the other hand, the Paraguay side had a strong team with such notable players, regarded by some journalists as the best of its history. In fact, the Paraguayan side achieved some notable results such as the 2nd place in the previous edition.
Brazil won the match against Paraguay, thrashing them by 7–0 and winning its 3rd. continental title.
Qualified teams[change | change source]
|Team||Previous final app.|
|Brazil||1919, 1922, 1937|
Bold indicates winning years
Route to the final[change | change source]
- Brazil and Paraguay finished tied on points so a playoff match had to be played to decide the champion.
Match details[change | change source]
|Ademir 17', 27', 48'
Tesourinha 43', 70'
Jair 72', 89'
References[change | change source]
- ↑ 1949-1975: Brasil, Paraguay, Bolivia y Perú, campeones on Agencia San Luis, 3 Jun 2015
- ↑ Historia de la Copa América: cuando Brasil empezó a asustar on Goal.com
- ↑ Paraguay campeón del Sudamericano de 1953 on Puro Deporte, 2015
- ↑ La Semana Santa feliz de 1953 by José María Troche & Gabriel Cazenave on ABC, 2 Apr 2011
- ↑ South American Championship 1949 by Martín Tabeira on the RSSSF
- ↑ Oliver, Guy (1992). The Guinness Record of World Soccer. Guinness Publishing. p. 560. ISBN 0-85112-954-4.