1989 (Taylor Swift album)
|Studio album by|
|Released||October 27, 2014|
|Taylor Swift chronology|
|Singles from 1989|
1989 is the fifth studio album by American singer-songwriter Taylor Swift. The album was released on October 27, 2014 in the United States. The album debuted at number one in many countries around the world. 1989 was noted to be Swift's first "pop-sounding" album. The album was named after the year Swift was born and contains elements of music from that year.
As of January 2016, six singles have been released. The first four were "Shake It Off", "Blank Space", "Style", and "Bad Blood". The first, second, and fourth singles all reached number one on the US Billboard Hot 100, while the third single reached number six. The fourth single, "Bad Blood", was also released as a remix featuring American rapper Kendrick Lamar. The fifth single, "Wildest Dreams", reached number five on the Billboard Hot 100 and, like the previous singles from the album, topped Billboard's Mainstream Top 40 (Pop Songs) airplay chart. The music video for the sixth single, "Out of the Woods", premiered on New Year's Eve 2015 on the annual new-year countdown show, Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest, which was shown on ABC in the United States. This song has so far reached the top twenty on the US Billboard Hot 100. The last single is "New Romantics", a song from the deluxe edition of 1989. The song was released on February 23, 2016.
The album generally received positive reviews from music critics, and it sold over 1.2 million copies in the United States in its first week. This is the largest first-week sales of any album since 2002. This record was beaten by English singer-songwriter Adele with her 2015 album, 25, which sold over 3 million copies in its first week in November 2015.
References[change | change source]
- Caramanica, Jon (23 October 2014). "A Farewell to Twang" – via NYTimes.com.
- TaylorSwiftVEVO (18 August 2014). "Taylor Swift - Shake It Off" – via YouTube.
- Maresca, Rachel. "Taylor Swift releases 'Blank Space' music video hours after leak". nydailynews.com.
- "Taylor Swift new single 'Style' to be released Feb. 9".
- "Bad Blood (feat. Kendrick Lamar) - Single by Taylor Swift" – via itunes.apple.com.
- "Taylor Swift's Next Single Is 'Wildest Dreams' – Read the Lyrics".
- TaylorSwiftVEVO (31 December 2015). "Taylor Swift - Out Of The Woods" – via YouTube.
- "Where Did the Content Go?". WHOSAY.