Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Roman numeral (unicode)||Ⅰ, ⅰ|
|Greek prefix||mono- /haplo-|
|Persian||١ - یک|
|Bengali & Assamese||১|
Mathematics[change | change source]
In mathematics, 1 is also the only number for which these special facts are true.
- Any number n multiplied by 1 equals that number: n × 1 = n, example 7 × 1 = 7.
- Any number n divided by 1 equals that number: n / 1 = n, example: 7 / 1 = 7.
- Any number n, other than 0, divided by itself always equals 1: n / n = 1, example: 7 / 7 = 1.
- 1 cannot be divided with any other number so that the result is a natural number.
Computer science[change | change source]
Other meanings[change | change source]
- In Germany and Austria, one is the grade for "very good". It is the best grade of six possible grades in Germany and the best of five possible grades in Austria. In the Netherlands, one is the lowest grade, and ten the highest and best. In Poland, one is also the lowest grade, but the highest is six.
- In numerology, the number one is a symbol for everything (unity), the beginning, and God.