2006 in science
Events[change | change source]
- January 19 - The NASA spacecraft New Horizons was launched for a journey to Pluto.
- January 25 - The planet OGLE-2005-BLG-390Lb was found.
- February 1 - The dwarf planet Eris was found to be bigger than Pluto.
- March 19 - total solar eclipse that could be seen in Brazil, Greece, mid Atlantic Ocean, Sahara, Turkey, Georgia, Russia, Kazakhstan and Mongolia.
- June 30 - scientists found 9 more natural satellites of Saturn.
- August 24 - Pluto was ordered as a dwarf planet instead of a planet.
- September 13 - 2003 UB313 received the name Eris.