2016 Grand-Bassam shootings
|2016 Grand-Bassam shootings|
The beach that was targeted in the attack, pictured in 2008
|Location||Grand-Bassam, Ivory Coast|
|Date||13 March 2016|
|Mass murder, mass shooting|
|Weapons||Assault rifles |
|Deaths||16 civilians and 3 special forces members |
|Perpetrators||Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb|
No. of participants
On 13 March 2016, three gunmen opened fire at a beach on Grand-Bassam, Ivory Coast. They attacked the Étoile du Sud hotel which was occupied at the time. Eighteen people were killed. Thirty-three people were injured.
The attackers were described as Africans. They were dressed in casual clothes. They had grenade belts and Kalashnikov rifles. People were evacuated from the beach to nearby hotels. The hotels were placed on lockdown.
References[change | change source]
- "Ivory Coast: Shooting at Grand Bassam beach". BBC News. Retrieved Mar 19, 2016.
- Reuters Editorial (14 March 2016). "Death toll in Ivory Coast militant attack rises to 18: government". Reuters.
- "Ivory Coast hotel shooting: Gunmen 'kill 15 including four Europeans' in Grand Bassam beach resort". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 13 Mar 2016.
- "Ivory Coast Hotel Shooting: 12 Dead – Reports". Sky News. 13 March 2016. Retrieved 13 Mar 2016.
- "Statement by Spokesperson Ned Price on the Terrorist Attack". Whitehouse.gov. Retrieved Mar 19, 2016.