2017 Turku attack
This article needs to be updated. (September 2021)
|2017 Turku stabbings|
|Location||Between Market Square and Puutori, central Turku, Finland|
|Date||18 August 2017|
|8 victims, 1 attacker|
|4 arrested, including suspected attacker|
On 18 August 2017, around 16:00 local time (UTC+3), several people were stabbed in central Turku, Finland. Alarm was first raised at 16:02 and by 16:05 the suspect had been captured. At least two people were killed in the attack.
On 18 August 2017, at 16:02 local time, several people were stabbed at Central Market Square in central Turku, Finland. The attacker, later described by the police as a young male of foreign background, then stabbed several people on his way to Puutori, where he was shot in the leg by the police and arrested at 16:05.
The Turku City Library and Hansa Emporium were evacuated, and the police initially advised people to avoid the city centre area.
The police increased security in Helsinki Airport and Helsinki Central railway station, along with other transport hubs across Finland.
At 19:00 local time, the police held a press conference where they reported that they were not investigating the incident as a terrorist attack, but the possibility that it was a terrorist attack had not been ruled out.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "Turun puukottajan silmitön juoksu kesti 3 minuuttia – tätä reittiä epäilty hyökkääjä kulki" [The savage run of the Turku stabber lasted 3 minutes - this is the route taken by the suspected attacker]. Ilta-Sanomat (in Finnish). 18 August 2017. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- ↑ "Two dead, several injured in Turku knife attack". Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Poliisi vahvistaa: Turun puukottajalla kymmenen uhria – Useita poliisioperaatioita, neljä otettu kiinni" [Police confirm: Ten victims in Turku stabbings - Several police operations, four people arrested]. Yle (in Finnish). 19 August 2017. Retrieved 19 August 2017.
- ↑ "Poliisi: Epäilty on ulkomaalaistaustainen, nuorehko mies – Henkilöllisyys tai motiivi ei vielä tiedossa" [Police: Suspect is a foreign-born, young man - Identity or motive is not yet known]. Yle. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- ↑ "Several people shot and stabbed in Finnish city of Turku, one arrested". euronews. 18 August 2017. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- ↑ "Sisäministeriö: Poliisi ei tutki Turun puukotuksia terrorismina – Yle seuraa hetki hetkeltä" [Two killed in Turku scourge, suspect is still in hospital care - A moment in the moment monitoring continues on Saturday] (in Finnish). Yle.
- ↑ "Two dead, at least six hurt in knife attack in Finland". Reuters
- ↑ "Finland stabbings: Two dead and suspect shot in Turku". BBC News. 2017-08-18. Retrieved 2017-08-18.