|Centuries:||2nd century – 3rd century – 4th century|
|Decades:||250s 260s 270s – 280s – 290s 300s 310s|
|Years:||281 282 283 – 284 – 285 286 287|
Year 284 (CCLXXXIV) was a leap year starting on Tuesday of the Julian calendar.
Events[change | change source]
By place[change | change source]
Roman Empire[change | change source]
- The Bagaudae, a group of peasants, revolt in Gaul against the Roman Empire. The Dardani, a region in Illyria, becomes a Roman province.
- Emperor Numerian travels through Bithynia (Asia Minor). He is murdered on his way home to Rome.
- November 20 – Gaius Aurelius Valerius Diocletianus, age 39, is made emperor.
- Sabinus Julianus, Roman usurper against Emperor Carinus, revolts in Pannonia. He attacks northern Italy and makes himself emperor.
- Winter – Diocletianus moves with his army across the Balkans.
By topic[change | change source]
Religion[change | change source]
- Patriarch Rufinus I succeeds Patriarch Dometius as Patriarch of Constantinople.
Births[change | change source]
- Jin Huidi, Chinese emperor of the Jin Dynasty (d. 313)
Deaths[change | change source]
- Diophantus, Greek mathematician (approximate date)
- Marcus Aurelius Numerian, Roman Emperor
- Sun Hao, last emperor of the Kingdom of Wu (b. 242)
- Xin Xianying, daughter of Xin Pi (b. 205)