3-1-1 is a special telephone number used for non-emergency call to municipal services. It is used in several cities in Canada and the United States. 3-1-1 was created to receive many of the calls which commonly were made to 9-1-1 which were common questions and not emergencies.
Availability[change | change source]
United States[change | change source]
3-1-1 is available in several major American cities, including: Akron, Albuquerque, Austin, Baltimore, Charlotte, Chattanooga, Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Hartford, Houston, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Little Rock, Los Angeles, Miami, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Mobile, Nashville, New York City, Rochester, Orlando, Pittsburgh, San Antonio, San Francisco, San Jose, Somerville, and Washington, D.C..
Canada[change | change source]
The service is available in the following communities (with starting date):
- Calgary, Alberta (18 May 2005)
- Gatineau, Quebec (22 June 2005)
- Windsor, Ontario (22 August 2005)
- Ottawa, Ontario (19 September 2005)
- St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador (27 June 2006)
- Fort St. John, British Columbia (14 November 2006)
- Greater Sudbury, Ontario (12 February 2007)
- Laval, Quebec (3 October 2007)
- Montreal, Quebec (mid-December 2007)