|Type||Wholly owned subsidiary|
|When it was created||Lodi, California, United States (1919 )|
|People who started it||Roy W. Allen
|Headquarters||Lexington, Kentucky, United States|
|Number of locations||about 1,000|
|Area served||16 countries and territories|
|Things made||Hot dogs, root beer, cheese curds, hamburgers, chicken|
|Parent||A Great American Brand LLC|
A&W was the first successful franchise company: the franchises began in the 1920s in California. The company's name was taken from the surnames of partners Roy W. Allen and Frank Wright. Yum! Brands purchased the company in 2002. In 2011 the company was sold back to a group of franchise owners. Kevin Bazner returned as the CEO.
The menu of A&W includes hamburgers, french fries, hot dogs and other fast food style meals. A&W has restaurants across the United States. A&W exists in Canada, but it has been owned by a different company since 1972. As of 2017 there were 634 restaurants in the United States and 328 international restaurants.
A&W is known for "frosty mugs". This is when the mug is kept in the freezer. It is removed, filled with A&W Root Beer, and then served to the customer. A number of A&W's are drive-in restaurants with carhops.
References[change | change source]
- Sloan, Scott (9 December 2011). "A&W returning headquarters to Lexington". Lexington Herald-Leader. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- "A&W History". A&W Restaurants, Inc. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- Forster, Tim (Jun 15, 2017). "Why Root Beer and Burger Chain A&W Is Planning a Comeback". Eater. Retrieved 2 July 2017.
- "Iconic A&W Restaurants, Inc. Acquired by A Great American Brand, LLC from YUM! Brands, Inc.; Growth Potential Seen for 92-Year Old Chain". BusinessWire. December 23, 2011. Retrieved 2 July 2017.
- "A&W Restaurants Growing for First Time in 10 Years". QSR. February 7, 2017. Retrieved 2 July 2017.
- "Canada still loves A&W". Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- Paul, Alexandra (March 29 2015). "End of era for city's oldest A&W". Winnipeg Free Press. Retrieved 2 July 2017. Check date values in:
- "A&W Opens 5 New QSRs in C-Stores". CSP. May 22, 2017. Retrieved 2 July 2017.