A.I. Artificial Intelligence
|A.I. Artificial Intelligence|
|Directed by||Steven Spielberg|
|Screenplay by||Steven Spielberg|
|Story by||Ian Watson|
|Produced by||Kathleen Kennedy
Steven SpielbergBonnie Curtis
|Starring||Haley Joel Osment
Jude Law Frances O'Connor Brendan GleesonWilliam Hurt
|Edited by||Michael Kahn|
|Music by||John Williams|
Amblin Entertainment Stanley Kubrick Productions
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures DreamWorks Pictures|
|June 29, 2001 (United States)|
|Box office||$235.9 million|
A.I. Artificial Intelligence, or A.I., is a 2001 American science fiction drama movie directed by Steven Spielberg. The screenplay was by Spielberg based on the 1969 short story "Supertoys Last All Summer Long" by Brian Aldiss.
The movie was produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Spielberg and Bonnie Curtis. It stars Haley Joel Osment, Jude Law, Frances O'Connor, Brendan Gleeson and William Hurt. It is set in a futuristic post-climate change society.
A.I. tells the story of David (Osment), a childlike android uniquely programmed with the ability to love.
Plot[change | change source]
The film takes place in the 22nd century with the effects of climate change changing the world. Henry and Monica are a couple whose child Martin is very sick and remains in a state of motionlessness (suspended animation). The couple acquires David, a robot capable of loving, to replace Martin. Martin gets better and returns. He becomes jealous of David. Martin tries to get David to do dangerous things that may hurt others. At a party, David tries to protect Martin but ends up almost drowning David. David is to be returned and destroyed, but Monica lets David stay in the woods. David wishes to be turned into a real boy by the Blue Fairy. David gets captured by a "Flesh Fair" but gets out, because the people believe he is really human. David travels with Joe. He eventually arrives in New York and meets his creator. He sees that there are other robots like himself and wants to kill himself. He jumps in the ocean and encounters a statue he believes to be the Blue Fairy. Centuries later, humans are extinct, and other species find David and revive him. David wishes to become a boy. Instead, they use the genes of Monica's hair to recreate her so that David can live one more day with her.
Cast[change | change source]
- Haley Joel Osment as David. Osment was Spielberg's first and only choice for the role. To portray the character, Osment avoided blinking his eyes and "programmed" himself with good posture.
- Frances O'Connor as Monica Swinton
- Sam Robards as Henry Swinton
- Jude Law as Gigolo Joe. To prepare for the role, Law studied the acting of Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly, whose movements Joe emulates.
- Jake Thomas as Martin Swinton
- William Hurt as Professor Allen Hobby
- Brendan Gleeson as Flesh Fair impresario Lord Johnson-Johnson
- Jack Angel as Teddy (voice)
- Ken Leung, Matt Winston, Eugene Osment and Clark Gregg as Cybertronics Corp employees
- April Grace as Female Colleague
- Enrico Colantoni as The Murderer
- Paula Malcomson as Patricia in Mirrored Room
- Ashley Scott as Gigolo Jane
- Kathryn Morris as Teenage Honey
- Adrian Grenier as Teen in Van
- Robin Williams as Dr. Know (voice)
- Ben Kingsley as Specialist (voice)
- Meryl Streep as the Blue Fairy (voice)
- Chris Rock as Comedian Robot (voice)
- Erik Bauersfeld as Gardener (voice)
- Ministry as Flesh Fair band