(Redirected from AD 1172)
1172 was a leap year.
|Centuries:||11th century – 12th century – 13th century|
|Decades:||1140s 1150s 1160s – 1170s – 1180s 1190s 1200s|
|Years:||1169 1170 1171 – 1172 – 1173 1174 1175|
Events[change | change source]
- Duke Richard of Aquitaine becomes Duke of Poitiers. He later becomes King Richard I of England.
- Pope Gregory VIII starts the Council of Avranches.
- The Synod of Cashel ended the Celtic Christian system and converted them to Rome.
Births[change | change source]
- Baldwin I of Constantinople (d. 1205)
- Fujiwara Moroie, last of the Japanese Fujiwara Regents (d. 1238)
- Takash, the shah of Persia (d. 1200)
- Aubrey de Vere, 2nd Earl of Oxford (d. 1214)
- Louis I, Count of Blois (d. 1205)
- Ranulph de Blondeville, 4th Earl of Chester (d. 1232)
- Isabella of Jerusalem, Queen of Jerusalem 1190/1192–1205 (d. 1205)
Deaths[change | change source]
- Agnes, daughter of Italian Count Amadeus III of Savoy (b. 1125)
- Hemachandra, Indian mathematician, philosopher and historian (b. 1089)