Abderrahmane Hammad Zaheer (born May 27, 1977 in Dellys) is a former Algerian track and field athlete. He was in the high jump. He won the bronze medal in the 2000 Summer Olympics. He was also in the 2004 Athens Olympics. His personal best of 2.34 m is the Algerian record for the event. He retired from the sport in 2010.
Hammad began his international career as a junior in 1994. He won the high jump silver medals at the African Junior Athletics Championships and Pan Arab Junior Championships. He went on to win the African Junior gold medal the following year. Then he won the Arab Junior title in 1996. He was at the 1996 World Junior Championships in Athletics but did not make it into the final round.
Hammad had his first international success at senior level in 1997. He won the silver at both the Pan Arab Championships and the 1997 Pan Arab Games.
The 2000 season was the top of his career. He kept his title at the 2000 African Championships in Athletics in Algiers. He made his areer best jump of 2.34 m. He then was in his first Olympicss at the 2000 Sydney Games. He won the bronze medal. He won the high jump at the 2001 Mediterranean Games. He was ninth at the 2001 World Championships in Athletics. He won his third high jump title in a row at the 2002 African Championships in Athletics. He took bronze at the 2002 IAAF Grand Prix Final. He placed fourth for Africa at the 2002 IAAF World Cup.
Achievements[change | change source]
- 2004 Pan Arab Games - gold medal
- 2002 IAAF Grand Prix Final - third place
- 2002 African Championships - gold medal
- 2001 Mediterranean Games - gold medal
- 2000 Summer Olympics - bronze medal
- 2000 African Championships - gold medal
- 1999 All-Africa Games - silver medal
- 1998 African Championships - gold medal
- 1997 Arab Championships - silver medal
- 1997 Pan Arab Games - silver medal
References[change | change source]
- Abderrahmane Hammad. Sports Reference. Retrieved on 2011-01-04.
- Les Records (in French). Algerian Athletics Federation. Retrieved on 2011-01-04.
- Flash-News des Tages. Leichatletik (2010-04-11). Retrieved on 2011-01-04.
- Junior Championships. GBR Athletics. Retrieved on 2011-01-04.
- Pan Arab Junior Championships. GBR Athletics. Retrieved on 2011-01-04.
- 1996 World Junior Championships. WJAH. Retrieved on 2011-01-04.
- Hammad Abderrahmane. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-01-04.
- Mediterranean Games. GBR Athletics. Retrieved on 2011-01-04.
- Matthews hurdles 13.21, Kamel wins 800m, Al Bishi doubles, and Rahouli takes fourth title in Pan-Arab Games – Day 4. IAAF (2004-10-08). Retrieved on 2011-01-04.