Abu Dhabi United Group
The Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment (ADUG) is a United Arab Emirates (UAE) private equity company owned by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan. He is a member of the Abu Dhabi Royal Family. He is also the Minister of Presidential Affairs for the UAE. It was first thought that Abu Dhabi United Group is a part of Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, a sovereign wealth fund owned by Abu Dhabi. But Abu Dhabi United Group had denied connection to the government of Abu Dhabi.
The Group bought Manchester City Football Club. The deal was announced on 1 September 2008. It was made between the club’s former owner Thaksin Shinawatra, former Prime Minister of Thailand, and ADUG.
The American educated Sulaiman Al-Fahim was the public face of ADUG during the beginning of the takeover. He is often called the "Donald Trump of Abu Dhabi". The takeover was completed on 23 September 2008.
References[change | edit source]
- Randall, Colin (9 September 2008). "Mansour to replace Man City directors". TheNational.ae. http://www.thenational.ae/article/20080909/NATIONAL/292369537/1040&profile=1040. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- "UAE Federal e-Government Portal - Ministry of Presidential Affairs". government.ae. http://www.government.ae/gov/en/gov/federal/mpa.jsp. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- Montague, James (1 September 2008). "Manchester City's new owners put national pride before profit". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/sep/01/manchestercity.premierleague1. Retrieved 2008-11-11.
- "Manchester City Takeover". ArabianBusiness.com. 2008-09-02. http://www.arabianbusiness.com/529580-abu-dhabi-seals-deal-for-manchester-city?ln=en. Retrieved 2008-09-02.
- Austin, Simon (2 September 2008). "Arabian might at Eastlands". BBC Sport. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7593936.stm. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- Austin, Simon (11 November 2008). "Hughes to hold City owner talks". BBC Sport. BBC. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7722345.stm. Retrieved 2008-11-11.