|National anthem of||North Korea (DPRK)|
"Aegukka", Korean for "Patriotic Song", is North Korea's national anthem. To celebrate the country's independence from imperial Japan, it was written by Pak Se-yong and composed by Kim Won-gyun, then it was adopted in 1947 shortly after.
It should not be confused with South Korea's anthem, which has the same name but uses a different romanisation scheme. It is sometimes also known by the first bit of the song, Achhimŭn pinnara (아침은 빛나라), meaning Let Morning Shine.
Lyrics[change | change source]
Poetic English translation[change | change source]
- Shine bright, thou dawn, on this land so fair;
- Thy land in silver and gold aboundeth.
- The country of three thousand ri;
- Thy history five millennia stretcheth.
- 𝄆 Rich in cultural heritage,
- Our Folk were ever renown'd and sage
- And as with heart and soul we strive –
- Korea shall forever thrive! 𝄇
- The spirit of Paektu we embrace,
- ’Tis where our love of toil dwelleth,
- United with truth, our strong will shall face
- The whole world and set forth.
- 𝄆 O nation, thy will our People built
- Braceth fierce waves mightily
- Our united Korea the Great
- Fourisheth eternally! 𝄇
References[change | change source]
- https://dprktoday.com/index.php?type=72&no=4093&for=e National Anthem of the DPRK. DPRK Today. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=rh5h4bZgkhEC&pg=PA273&dq=aegukka+pak+se-yong&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjcsPfR8JnTAhXF34MKHZu-D-cQ6AEILTAD#v=onepage&q=aegukka%20pak%20se-yong&f=false Hoare, James E. (2012-07-13). Historical Dictionary of Democratic People's Republic of Korea. Scarecrow Press. p. 273. ISBN 9780810879874. Retrieved 10 April 2017.
- https://lyrics-on.net/en/1012153-north-korean-national-anthem-aegukka-lyrics.html National Anthems & Patriotic Songs "North Korean National Anthem - Aegukka (애국가)" lyrics. Lyrics-on.
- Based on Wiktionary's Korean pronunciation.