The town of Ajdovščina
Map showing, in red, Ajdovščina
|• Mayor||Tadej Beočanin|
|• Total||245.2 km2 (94.7 sq mi)|
|Elevation||106 m (348 ft)|
|• Density||78/km2 (200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Ajdovščina (Italian: Aidussina, German: Haidenschaft) is a small Slovenian town that is the administrative centre of the Municipality of Ajdovščina (Slovene: Občina Ajdovščina). It is an economic and cultural centre of the Vipava Valley (Slovene: Vipavska dolina), southwestern Slovenia, near the border with Italy.
The municipality of Ajdovščina was established on 10 March 1994. Its administrative centre is the town of Ajdovščina.
Geography[change | change source]
The highest point in the municipality is the Veliki Golak mountain ( ) in Predmeja near the border with the municipality of Nova Gorica; it is 1,495 m (4,905 ft) high. The lowest point is on the Vipava river to the south of the village of Batuje – lying at 60 m (197 ft) above sea level. The average altitude at the town of Ajdovščina is 106 m (348 ft).
The main river in the municipality or that flows through it is the Vipava. The Hubelj river, a right tributary of the Vipava, is a short stream that divides the town of Ajdovščina in two large parts: Ajdovščina itself and Šturje.
The municipality of Ajdovščina is surrounded by the following municipalities: Idrija to the north and east, Postojna to the southeast, Vipava to the south, Komen to the southwest and Nova Gorica to the west.
Climate[change | change source]
Mild winters and hot summers are typical of the Vipava Valley. The average (or mean) July temperature in Ajdovščina, is 24 °C (75 °F) and the average winter temperature is 4 °C (39 °F). The average annual rainfall in the Vipava Valley is 1,500 mm (59.1 in). The Bora wind is a characteristic wind of the valley which is more common during winter; it is a cold and strong wind.
Settlements[change | change source]
Sister cities[change | change source]
The municipality of Ajdovščina is twinned with:
- Quiliano, Italy
People from Ajdovščina[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Communes of Slovenia". Statoids. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- "Nadmorska višina naselij, kjer so sedeži občin" [Height above sea level of seats of municipalities] (in Slovenian and English). Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia. 2002. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- "Population by sex, municipalities and settlements, Slovenia, 1 January 2017" (xls). Statistical Office of Republic of Slovenia. Retrieved 5 November 2017.
- Milenković, Aleksandar (2007). Vzpostavitev lokalne samouprave v Republiki Sloveniji v stevilkah [The Establishment of the Local Self-Government in the Republic of Slovenia in Numbers] (PDF) (in Slovenian). Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia. p. 14. ISBN 978-961-239-131-7. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- "Veliki Golak" (in Slovenian). Geopedia.si. 2002. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "More About Ajdovščina". Tourist Information Centre - Ajdovščina. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- "Municipality of Ajdovščina - map" (in Slovenian). Geopedia.si. 2012. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- "Climate". Tourist Information Centre - Ajdovščina. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ajdovščina.|