|Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission|
|Assumed office |
January 23, 2017
|Preceded by||Tom Wheeler|
|Member of the Federal Communications Commission|
|Assumed office |
May 14, 2012
|Preceded by||Meredith Attwell Baker|
|Born||Ajit Varadaraj Pai|
January 10, 1973
Buffalo, New York, U.S.
Janine Van Lancker (m. 2010)
|Alma mater||Harvard University (AB)|
University of Chicago (JD)
Ajit Varadaraj Pai (born January 10, 1973) is an American attorney. He serves as the Chairman of the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC). He is the first Indian American to hold the office.
Early life[change | change source]
Early political career[change | change source]
He has served in various positions at the FCC since being appointed to the commission by President Barack Obama in May 2012, at the recommendation of Mitch McConnell. He was confirmed unanimously by the United States Senate on May 7, 2012, and was sworn in on May 14, 2012, for a five-year term.
Chairman of the FCC[change | change source]
In March 2017, Trump announced that he would renominate Pai to serve another five-year term at the FCC, which will require confirmation by the U.S. Senate. Before his appointment to the FCC, Pai held positions with the Department of Justice, the United States Senate, the FCC's Office of General Counsel, and Verizon Communications.
Pai was confirmed by the U.S. Senate for an extra five-year term as FCC Chairman on October 2, 2017.
Personal life[change | change source]
Pai lives in Arlington, Virginia, with his wife Janine Van Lancker, daughter Annabelle Malathi Pai, and son Alexander Madhav Pai.
References[change | change source]
- "Trump's FCC: Tom Wheeler to be replaced, set-top box reform could be dead". Nov 10, 2016.
- "President Trump Designates Ajit Pai as Chairman of FCC". Jan 22, 2017.
- Devin Coldewey (January 23, 2017), Trump’s FCC Chairman pick Ajit Pai heralds a weaker, meeker Commission, retrieved February 5, 2017
- Johnson, Ted (March 7, 2017). "President Trump Renominates Ajit Pai for New FCC Term". Variety. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- Harding McGill, Margaret (2017-05-18). "FCC kicks off effort to roll back net neutrality rules". Politico. Retrieved 2017-05-18.
- Shepardson, David (October 2, 2017). "Senate Confirms FCC Chairman to New Five-Year Term". U.S. News & World Report. Reuters. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Ajit Pai at Wikimedia Commons