Hurricane performing in 2014
|Birth name||Alberto Nelson Sanchez|
|Born||July 10, 1936|
Dixon, New Mexico, U.S.
|Died||October 22, 2017 (aged 81)|
Albuquerque, New Mexico, U.S.
|Genres||New Mexico music, Latin music, rock music, Norteño, Ranchera, Country Western, rock and roll, rockabilly, Corrido, Cumbia|
|Instruments||Vocals, Guitar (Gibson 335, 137, 347), Saxophone, Piano|
|Labels||Hurricane Records, Atlantis Records, EMI Capitol, Discos Musart|
|Associated acts||Tiny Morrie, Baby Gaby, Al Hurricane, Jr., Jerry Dean|
Alberto Nelson Sanchez (July 10, 1936 – October 22, 2017), known professionally as Al Hurricane, was an American singer-songwriter. He was dubbed "The Godfather" of New Mexico music. He released more than thirty albums, and was best known for his works to New Mexico’s unique style of Spanish music.
His signature look, which included an eye-patch, was due to an automobile accident that occurred during the 1960s.
References[change | change source]
- "Show Up! – Weekly Alibi". Weekly Alibi. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- "Paying Tribute to the Godfather of New Mexico Music – Alibi". Weekly Alibi. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- "Godfather of New Mexico at mid-century of career". Valencia County News-Bulletin. Archived from the original on 2014-05-11. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- "Al Hurricane, 'Godfather of New Mexico music,' dies". Miami Herald. Associated Press. October 23, 2017.
- "The Early Show : WUSA : December 26, 2011 7:00am-9:00am EST : Free Streaming : Internet Archive". The Early Show. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- "Al Hurricane, 'Godfather of New Mexico music,' dies at 81". Albuquerque Journal. October 22, 2017.